MSU volleyball splits series against LSU

The Mississippi State volleyball team split their double-header against Louisiana State University this weekend at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
MSU started off strong by winning the first set 25-20 in game one Saturday. However, LSU took the next two sets 25-20 and 25-13. The Bulldogs bounced back with a victory in the fourth set, 25-21, but the battle was not enough. The Tigers finished 15-10 in the fifth for an LSU win.
Graduate senior Gabby Waden led the team with 18 kills, while junior Shania Cromartie followed with 12 kills and 10 digs for her eighth double-double.
Redshirt senior Gabby Coulter earned her 12th double-double with 19 digs and 35 assists. Junior Lilly Gunter secured 28 digs and five assists. In total, the Bulldogs had 59 kills, 35 assists, 91 digs and a hitting percentage of .146
Sunday’s matchup was a hard-fought battle that fell in the Bulldogs’ favor for a 3-2 win against the Tigers.
MSU secured the first set 26-24 but fell to LSU in the next two sets with a score of 25-16 for both. The Bulldogs rallied back to take the fourth and fifth sets 25-21 and 16-14.
After the Bulldogs’ win against the Tigers, head coach Julie Darty Dennis discussed the performance in game two.
“What a day for the Volleydawgs. (I’m) super proud of our focus and determination today,” Dennis said. “We came out with the desire and discipline to get it done through some really tough moments, and I am so proud of my team.”
Waden, sophomore Sania Petties and redshirt senior Deja Robinson compiled 46 kills, and the Bulldogs had 66 kills in total. Robinson also led the team with a hitting percentage of .360.
Gunter led the team with 36 digs, and Coulter followed with 21 digs and 44 assists.
Coach Dennis spoke to the media postgame about how Gunter’s effort defensively anchored the Bulldogs in the win against LSU.
“Lilly’s (Gunter) defensive effort anchored us and allowed us to stay in some super long rallies,” Dennis said. “Gunter was really focused today and did a nice job digging so many tough swings.”
The Bulldogs now have a 12-10 overall record and hope to add to their one-game win streak in their next face-off with the University of Alabama Saturday, at 2 p.m. in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]