MSU women’s basketball dominates ULM in empty arena at The Hump

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team dominated the University of Louisiana Monroe Tuesday in Humphrey Coliseum.
Due to severe weather threats, spectators were not allowed to watch the game from inside the arena. However, the game was streamed live on SEC Network+.
Even with no fans, MSU put up a total of 94 points against ULM’s 39 for a commanding Bulldog win.
The Bulldogs came out hot during the first quarter when they held the ULM Warhawks to only two points, which tied the record for the least amount of points scored in any quarter in program history.
By the end of the first half, the Bulldogs were able to put up 41 points, while the Warhawks were trailing far behind with 21 points.
The lack of Bulldog fans in the arena did not stop the team from succeeding. Coach Sam Purcell said while it was difficult to create momentum without the encouragement of a loud fanbase, the team was able to pull through in the same way they did with the small number of fans during the Puerto Rico Clasico. 
“It is difficult. Also, I referenced we were in San Juan. San Juan was an awesome tournament, but there aren’t any fans either,” Purcell said. “We were able to keep that mindset, but I promise you this; we would rather be back at The Hump playing with our fan base all cheering behind us.”
MSU maintained a big lead against ULM. Going into the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs were up by 41 points. MSU held ULM to just 25% shooting, while the Bulldogs pulled through with 55% shooting from the floor.
Five MSU players scored in the double digits. JerKaila Jordan led the team with 20 points. Kourtney Weber, Asianae Johnson, Debreasha Powe and Jessika Carter all followed Jordan to help conclude the game with a high-scoring victory.
Coach Purcell said he is proud of the team’s performance despite the circumstances of inclement weather and no spectators.
“So excited about our team coming out 94-39 with no fans. It was just three years ago we had COVID and experienced this, and that’s where I’m grateful and thankful. Playing at home on Sunday is going to feel good. We can have everyone back in and get a crowd behind our team,” Purcell said. 
After earning their sixth victory of the season, MSU’s overall record is now 6-2. Next, the Bulldogs will play Grambling State University Sunday at 3 p.m. in Humphrey Coliseum.

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]