MSU women’s basketball splits series in the Puerto Rico Clasico

Jahari Bell | The Reflector
In Mississippi, the length of the criminal docket of the 16th circuit is an issue. Many charged members of the justice system have been awaiting trial for a long period of time.

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team split their matchups in the Puerto Rico Clasico by defeating Georgetown University and losing an overtime battle to the University of Nebraska. 
MSU opened the Puerto Rico Classico with a dominating win against the Georgetown Hoyas. Mississippi State held Georgetown to 23% shooting, while the Bulldogs accomplished 40% shooting from the floor. 
After the first quarter, the Bulldogs were falling behind 13-11, but they to completely turned the game around during the second quarter when they outscored the Hoyas by 17. The score was 25-13 at the half, and the Bulldogs never looked back. 
The Bulldogs’ defense was on point throughout the entire game. MSU held Georgetown to 6% shooting from the three while forcing 24 turnovers. Coach Sam Purcell said the Bulldogs might have been struggling on the offense, but the defense had their heads in the game. 
“It was awesome. I was proud of (the team), unbelievable effort. First quarter, I thought we were still at the pool at the hotel. We were a step behind, but (I) really credit the team. Tonight was a night that shots didn’t go in, but they got after it on the defensive end,” Coach Purcell said. 
MSU kept the upper hand and finished the game with a Bulldog victory via a final score of 67-32. 
After the big win on Friday, the Bulldogs dropped a tough overtime battle against the Nebraska Huskers on Saturday to conclude the Puerto Rico Classico. 
The competition was tightly contested throughout the entire game. Neither team seemed to be able to hold a decent lead above the other. Nebraska claimed a two-point lead for the first half, but the Bulldogs were able to close the gap by the fourth quarter. 
MSU freshman Debreasha Powe shot a nail-biting three as the buzzer sounded to tie up the game 57-57. The competition entered overtime, but the Nebraska Huskers were able to secure their win 73-65. 
The Mississippi State Bulldogs fought hard against the talented Huskers but fell short in the end. Coach Purcell said despite the outcome, he is proud of the team’s effort. 
“There is a different vibe about us when we make shots, make layups. We went so hard. This was just one of those night where we didn’t finish, but with all that being said, I’m so proud of my squad,” Purcell said. “I absolutely love them, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world. I’m just heartbroken because I know how badly they wanted this one.”
Mississippi State now has a 5-2 overall record in Purcell’s first season as head coach. Next, the Bulldogs will play the University of Louisiana Monroe Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Hump.  

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]