Sam Purcell era tips-off: MSU women’s basketball wins big over MVSU

Landon Scheel | The Reflector
Sam Purcell era tips-off: MSU women’s basketball wins big over MVSU in season opener

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team opened the season with a 104-47 win over Mississippi Valley State University Wednesday night in Humphrey Coliseum.
Head coach Sam Purcell’s era in Starkvegas began with a bang Wednesday night as the Bulldogs shot 66% in the game and went 10 for 23 from the three-point line. MSU’s defense performed well against the Delta Devils  forcing several turnovers throughout the game that provided scoring opportunities for the Bulldogs.
Forward Jessika Carter had a double-double in the game with 16 points, 10 rebounds and six blocks. Guard Anastasia Hayes totaled eight assists in the game and guard JerKaila Jordan led MSU with 18 total points.
MVSU scored first, but the 2-0 lead was the Delta Devils’ only lead of the game. The first quarter was a combination of prolific scoring and excellent defense from the Bulldogs. MSU had three blocks and two steals  scoring 10 points off of five turnovers. The Bulldogs ended the quarter on an 11-0 run with a 28-8 lead.
In the second quarter, the Bulldogs continued to shut down the MVSU offense. The Delta Devils did not score until two minutes and 34 seconds into the second quarter, as MSU continued to dominate defensively. Guard Kourtney Weber went three-for-three from the floor in the quarter with eight points. The Bulldogs led 55-18 at the half.
MSU started where they left off in the third quarter as Ahlana Smith buried a three-pointer. Carter had eight points and two blocks in the quarter, and the Bulldogs closed out the third leading 87-35.
The scoring spree slowed a little for MSU in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs only scored 17 points in the fourth, but successfully closed out the Delta Devils.
With three minutes and 40 seconds left in the game, Carter grabbed her tenth rebound, giving her a double-double on the night. Shortly after, a three-pointer from Jordan brought the Bulldogs to 100 points.
Coach Purcell and the MSU women’s basketball team started the season in the win column with a score of 104-47.
After the game, Purcell said he was pleased with the intensity and selflessness that the Bulldogs showed in the season opener.
“I needed to see the lights come on,” Purcell said. “Tonight, the lights came on for us to have that same passion and energy. But, most importantly, everybody willing, when I took them out, to not be going, ‘Why (are) you taking me out?’ but ‘You got it,’ to the next person.”
Twelve different Bulldogs saw action in Wednesday’s game. The Bulldogs had 44 points off the bench. Forward Debreasha Powe attributed the Bulldogs’ ability to get players involved in the team’s communication with one another.
Coach Purcell said the Bulldogs’ celebration for the first win of the season would be brief.
“We’re going to celebrate today,” Purcell said, “but we’re working on rebounding tomorrow, all right, I promise you that.”
The Bulldogs’ next game is against the University of North Alabama Friday at 5:30 p.m at The Hump. The game will be streamed live on SEC Network Plus.