T. Smith: “The Dude Effect” reigns supreme against Alabama

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Logan Tanner takes a swing during previous action this season against the University of Alabama.

Let’s set the stage: Mississippi State University Baseball was down by two runs heading into the bottom of the ninth inning.
This was their last chance to claim a victory, and the crowd watched in anticipation as freshman designated hitter Hunter Hines approached the batter’s box. With two outs, it was all over if Hines couldn’t pull through. On the other hand, all it would take was one swing of the bat, and it’s a tie ball game with Logan Tanner already on base. 
On a 3-1 count, the Dude Effect settling in, Hines had arguably the greatest moment in his baseball career. Dudy Noble erupted in cheers as thousands of fans watched the ball disappear past right field— the score evened at 6-6. 
Then, after a solid outing from freshman Brooks Auger and a stellar defensive play by Kameron James, it was the bottom of the tenth and the same electric anticipation radiated through the stadium. Nerves set in as the first batter strikes out, but RJ Yeager took his place at the plate and in that moment, an unspoken certainty settled over the crowd. On his first pitch, Starkville soaked up every second of the Yeager bomb that pushed the Dawgs to a 7-6 victory. 
“The Dude Effect: it was in real effect tonight, especially there late. It’s hard for another team to come in there and close you out here,” Head coach Chris Lemonis said in the postgame press conference, and he couldn’t be more correct. 
Alabama struggled under the pressure of the Dude Effect. Once it takes over, there is nothing that can stop it. That would reign true for Saturday as well. 
In true cardiac dawg fashion, MSU entered the bottom of the ninth inning in game two of the series down by three runs, but James’ leadoff double was just the momentum shifter the bulldogs needed and the crowd immediately could sense a repeat of the night before. Directly after, Kellum Clark hit an RBI double and the score gap closed in on the Crimson Tide as James crossed home plate. Two outs and a few more productive at bats later, Tanner Leggett had his chance at heroism with two runners on. 
Much like in Omaha, Tanner “Legend” Leggett came in clutch with an RBI single that clinched the series win for the Diamond Dawgs. 
Leggett couldn’t have done it without the fans and the one-of-a-kind atmosphere they bring to Dudy Noble. 
“To have the city of Starkville behind me gives me all the confidence in the world,” Leggett said after the game. 
Alabama avoided the sweep with a 6-2 victory on Sunday. 
The bulldogs will take on Memphis in Memphis, TN, before traveling to Fayetteville, AR, to face the Hogs at Baum-Walker Stadium April 1-3.