First Midnight Bizarre showcases local artisans and performers

Courtesy Photo | Corban Woodward

Local band Soulchile Dynamite performs a set at the Midnight Bizarre. They were one of many local acts that played.

A new arts themed event took place on March 26, and had major success in its first year.
The Midnight Bizarre, a self described “place for performers, artisans and culture” occurred on the corner of Lampkin and Jackson, and drew many attendees over its four hour duration.
On the lot across from Georgia Blue sat tables, food trucks and a stage for local musicians. Among the food options were Mom and Pop Food Truck and Dab’s Chicken and Waffles.
Artists from in and around Starkville came to showcase their artistic creations and set up shop for the many patrons in attendance.
The event was co-directed by Lily Jones and Taylor Barr, two students at Mississippi State University.
Jones, a junior communication student from McFarland, Wisconsin, described the event as taking a long time to coordinate and plan, but worthwhile in its execution.
“This is for everyone but the people who created it, and they showed up. Oh my gosh, they showed up. It’s finally here, and it’s a success,” Jones said.
A constant theme of the night was giving artists in Starkville a place to showcase their art, something Jones was proud of.
“These people are coming out and they’re getting a platform and they’re getting exposure and people are buying their art,” Jones said.
Over 20 artists had tables in the lot, with wares ranging from paintings and drawings to poetry, embroidered clothing and jewelry.
Along with these various artisans was music performed by local artists, including Soulchile Dynamite and Government Plates.
One such artisan was Leah Montgomery, a senior from Columbia, Tennessee, studying anthropology. Montgomery’s table focused on original poems and the offering of tarot reading. Montgomery talked about the experience of an event like the Midnight Bizarre.
“This is my first event vending at all, and I just thought it would be a cool idea. I thought it would be a cool place and that there would be other people who had interesting booths,” Montgomery said.
Montgomery also raised the theme of supporting other artists in Starkville, and shining a light on that community.
“I think artists are kind of what makes life interesting; art makes life interesting. So I think supporting local artists gives them the means to create more art and share it with other people,” Montgomery said.
Montgomery talked about the main purpose for her art, saying that as long as the art resonates with someone, that is all that matters.
Another local artist with a table was Ian Burke, with a table focused on jewelry. Burke, a wildlife, fisheries and aquaculture major, made jewelry adorned with bones.
“Jewelry isn’t my main form of art, but it’s the form of art I can do quickly. I have been making jewelry since I was around 12, and some of these I’ve had since I was around that age,” Burke said.
Burke mentioned the influence nature and wildlife have on the art on display.
“I just like nature, and to me, nature is like the original art,” Burke said.
While the event was successful, Lily Jones said the planning was stressful, but rewarding.
“You have to remember who needs what and when to communicate with them, and you want to make everyone happy because we feel like they’re doing us a favor by even being here. Without them, nothing would be here,” Jones said.
The planning of this event began long ago, Jones said, and the idea came when her and Barr drove by the lot and Barr decided he wanted to host an event there.
When asked why an event such as the Midnight Bizarre was important to the local art community, Jones summed it up succinctly.
“I think that artists always deserve a platform, and artists always need somewhere to congregate,” Jones said.

Joshua Stewart
Joshua Stewart, Former Life & Entertainment Editor
Joshua Stewart served as the Life & Entertainment Editor in 2022.