Ellie Holcomb bares soul, connects with fans

Linda Griffith | Courtesy Photo

Wesley Ellie Holcomb concert

Students flooded the Wesley Worship Center Tuesday night in anticipation of hearing singer-songwriter Ellie Holcomb perform. The popular Christian musician came to campus as part of campus minister Hugh Griffith’s effort under the Wesley Foundation to offer a concert every fall semester. 

Lights strung near a single stool, microphone and acoustic guitar provided an intimate atmosphere despite the large crowd. However, the audience soon realized Holcomb did not need props to create a close relationship. 

From the introduction, she was honest. Mistakes, history and shortcomings were presented openly. 

The concert exposed longtime fan and Wesleyan associate Katie Heckel to the singer’s compassion and relatable stories. 

“She speaks such truth and sees the beauty of every individual,” Heckel said.

Jian Jiang, who is new to MSU as a graduate student, found Holcomb amazing. 

“The story behind her songs is really touching and beautiful,” Jian shared.

The singer further connected with the audience through genuine anecdotes –  stories about her husband, singer Drew Holcomb, and daughter mixed with personal life experiences. 

These intermissions provided insight into her song lyrics as well as connections to Holcomb’s faith journey.

Rebecca Griffith, junior international studies major, became an immediate fan. 

“I love the scripture from Hosea about the faithfulness of the rising sun. Ellie Holcomb says, ‘One thing I never stay up worrying about is whether or not the sun will rise tomorrow,” Griffith said. 

College students who related with feelings of anxiety about the future found comfort in this. The audience began to sing along to songs they recognized and songs they were hearing for the first time.

Kacie Ross, sophomore elementary    education major, said meeting Holcomb was the highlight of the concert. 

“She hugged you when she first met you, like you were a long lost friend,” Ross said. 

Holcomb’s inspirational “Magnolia” lyrics “you don’t have to walk alone” came to life. Unlike most people touched by fame, the singer personally greeted, laughed with and talked to everyone who waited. Holcomb even took the time to sign posters or take pictures with students who asked. 

Whether or not the audience expected a typical concert, they all left with the certainty that someone understood their struggles. As Heckel said, “Watch out world, Ellie Holcomb’s going to speak words that connect with your soul and in return, make you feel closer to her love, Jesus.”