‘True Maroon Fashion Show’ to showcase school spirit through fashion

Mississippi State University’s Fashion Board kicks off the semester with its firs show Wednesday.

MSU’s Fashion Board is partnering with the Student Association to put on a “True Maroon” fashion show featuring MSU traditions and different game day looks from local stores in Starkville. 

The True Maroon show commemorates the 100-year anniversary of Scott Field at Davis Wade Stadium, and elements of maroon, gold and black will be featured. 

The show will highlight old traditions. The SA and Fashion Board want to portray the best aspects from the past years of MSU culture and heritage. 

Maggie Wheeler, a sophomore who works hair and makeup for Fashion Board, said viewers can expect favorite traditions such as cowbells and Bulldogs to be present, and they should also expect to see the fresh colors that will be showcased during the show.

“We want to portray the typical elements of game day fashion while keeping the styles and colors clean and crisp,” she said.

The location for the True Maroon fashion show will be at the north end of Davis Wade Stadium. With spirits and pride still high after the Bulldog victory over LSU, students will enjoy the location and theme combination. Maggie Cresswell, Fashion Board backstage worker, said there is no better place to commemorate 100 years of True Maroon than the football stadium. 

“The industrial location makes for the perfect place to emphasize tradition,” she said. 

Shelby Given, sophomore model for Fashion Board, said models will walk wearing the different game day styles to express all of the different looks seen in The Junction.

“There will be an ‘express yourself’ section where the models wear their personal style of game day attire,” she said.

Local clothing stores such as Libby Story, Deep South Pout, Style Revel and others lend out their clothes to the models to wear in the show, so all of the clothes and styles will be community-based. 

The MSU Fashion Board usually keeps most of its show’s details secret, so people will have to attend to get the full experience. The show starts at 7 p.m., and Fashion Board suggests that attendees park at Barnes & Noble and enter through the north gates. 

The show will help boost everyone’s school spirit for the upcoming Texas A&M game, and Fashion Board asks everyone to wear maroon to show their True Maroon spirit.