Career fair provides job opportunities for students

Mississippi State University will host its annual career fair Tuesday and Wednesday. The career fair, hosted for over 40 years, is open to all MSU students and alumni. Tuesday the fair is directed toward those looking to work in the business or non-technical fields. Wednesday the fair will focus on engineering and technical fields. The event, running from noon to 4 p.m., will take place in Humphrey Coliseum.
Scott Maynard, MSU Career Center director, said this event is a great opportunity for students to reach out to large numbers of potential employers at one time.
“This event offers an opportunity for all students to see and talk with the people who would actually be hiring them,” Maynard said. “I want to stress that this is not just for seniors. This is for any students looking for internships or full-time or part-time employment.”
Maynard said while the Career Center offers over nine different career fairs throughout the semester, these two will be the biggest.
“The Career Fair is a relaxed environment for students to learn more information about various businesses. These employers understand how to interact with students and make them feel comfortable,” Maynard said. “My advice for nervous students is plan a brief introduction of yourself. Be sure to speak clearly and look employers in the eye. Make it something short and simple to break the ice.”
There are over 150 recruiters registered for the event and more than 1,200 students are expected to attend.
Leslie Neal, MSU Career Center coordinator, said this event can be the beginning of a solid career path for many students, and they would be wise to dress the part.
“For many students, making connections at this event will be a major stepping stone. The most important thing a student can get out of this is networking,” Neal said. “Students should come dressed professionally. It is a huge red flag to employers if students are not dressed for the part.”
Students do not have to preregister, and it is free for the entire MSU student body.
James Marshall, junior accounting major, said he is eager for the chance to network with potential employers.
“I am very excited that we get to interact with employers face-to-face and make that initial connection with them. When I was getting prepared for the career fair, I knew I would have to research the companies, polish my resume and bring out my good suit,” Marshall said. “Any one of these people could be your future employer. It is not that much pressure, but just thinking about it is crazy.”