SA Senate discusses parking options, homecoming elections

The Student Association Senate committees at Mississippi State University held their first meeting of the semester to discuss plans for MSU and improvements each committee will implement for students and the university.
Hunt Walne, head of the student life committee, said one of the improvements his committee would like to make is to add more lighted crosswalks around campus.
“There is a lighted crosswalk on Engineering Row, and people seem to really like it, so we want to add more lighted crosswalks all across campus and add a crosswalk between fraternity and sorority row,” Walne said.
Walne said his committee wants to increase the senate budget so it can improve the college experience for students.
“We want to raise the budget for organizations from $100 to $200 and use that to improve the student life experience,” he said.
Haley Grantham, vice president of the executive council of the senate, said one event that the senate is having is “Campaign for Change,” where there will be a white board with different topics and students can actually come and write down things they want to change concerning those topics.
“There will be a white board on the Drill Field on campus, and the first topic will be ‘What would you change about parking?’ and students can come and write something that they want to change about parking,” Grantham said. 
Grantham said there will also be an event called “Town Hall” where a representative from parking services will come, and students can actually ask questions they have about parking on campus.
“We never really get to see the things that happen behind the scenes with parking and the logic that goes into it, so there will be a representative from parking services come, and students will actually have an opportunity to ask questions about parking, like about the different parking zones on campus,” Grantham said. 
Grantham also said the senate wants to make some improvements to homecoming elections.
“Everybody really dislikes homecoming elections, so what we’re looking into is forming an ad hoc committee that can look into practices of other schools in the SEC and reach out to them and see how they handle homecoming elections and if their practices work for them,” she said. “We’re also going to reach out to the research and development cabinet to decide if homecoming elections are better the way they are or if it would be better a different way.”
Matt Jones, committee chairman of academic affairs, said his committee would like to install more surveillance cameras on campus.
“There have been a lot of recent acts of vandalism on campus, and there have been a lot of break-ins and nobody knows who is  doing them, and we want to install cameras on light poles and in parking lots all around campus,” Jones said.
Jones said he believes installing cameras will make students feel better protected on campus.
“We think more cameras is a great way to keep students safer,” he said.