Ovarian Cancer Foundation raises awareness for cancer

Courtesy Photo | Kim C. Gee Ovarian Cancer Foundation
Ovarian Cancer Foundation check

The name “Kimberly C. Gee”  generates a lot of different emotions throughout certain areas of Mississippi. You will read about her being a very determined individual, who even in the darkest hours, never stopped believing she would defeat the illness that plagued her for four very long years. Ovarian cancer just so happens to be the type of cancer that causes more deaths than any other type of cancer in the female reproductive system, and has grown to the point where September is now dedicated to this particular type of cancer, as well. 
Holly Wiley, one of the Fun Run for Awareness organizers, paints a graceful narrative of Kimberly C. Gee’s character.
“Anyone who met Kim knew that she was loyal, joyful, positive and simply good,” Wiley said. “Three simple words sum up Kim’s story, ‘Taken too soon.’ No mother, no child, no husband, sister or friend ever wants to say that about their loved one.”
It was just after the birth of her second child, that Gee grew concerned about her increased risk of having ovarian cancer at some point in the future. This mainly was because of her family history, which is said to be a giant indicator ofa person’s likelihood to be diagnosed with the illness. Trying to get ahead of the situation, Gee wished to receive a hysterectomy, in the hopes of counteracting the potential problem before it even became one.
Unfortunately for Gee, her gynecologist at the time told her that she could not receive the diagnostic CA125 blood test to determine what her status was. CA125 is a substance found at elevated levels in most ovarian cancer cells compared to normal cells. The blood test is most commonly used to monitor the state of the disease in patients that have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. The reason she was denied was because of her age, which according to her gynecologist, was not old enough to be even in danger of being considered to have ovarian cancer.
Not too long afterward, Gee began having very bad abdominal pains as well as a swollen abdomen all together. She returned to her doctor and was this time fortunately granted the right to take the CA125 blood test that she was denied earlier. The test returned the news that everyone was afraid to hear. Gee had stage C3 ovarian cancer.
The next three and a half years saw Gee go through three major surgeries and up to 60 treatments of chemotherapy. During this span, she only got to savor six total months of remission from her cancer, after the first couple of series of her chemotherapy cycles. For most, this would be more than enough to keep their spirits down for months or even years. However, Gee never stopped believing that she would defeat her cancer and stayed positive until the very end.
Beverly Coleman, Gee’s mother and founding member of the Kimberly C. Gee Foundation, describes in a strong and beautiful manner how her daughter continued to live her life to the absolute best of her ability even through all of the pain.
“Don’t let cancer stop you from living your life. Kim continued to work as a Clinical Educator at LeBonheur until a few months before her death. She went to all her children’s activities. She wanted to live her life as normal as possible for her family. She was always upbeat. Always joyful. Always worried about others,” she said.
After almost four years of fighting, Gee lost her battle with ovarian cancer on Oct. 12, 2006. She left behind a supportive husband and two small children, who sadly will never get the chance to know the woman that fought so hard to try and remain in their lives.
Shortly after Gee’s death, her family asked her doctor if there was any place that they could make donations that could go toward funding research on ovarian cancer. The doctor suggested starting their own foundation that would be in memory of Gee, and also help raise awareness and money in the fight against ovarian cancer. This all led to the formation of the Kimberly C. Gee Ovarian Cancer Foundation, roughly eight years ago.
Since then, the foundation has put together events, but it’s most successful and main event is the annual Fun Run for Awareness. The run is held at the Joe Frank Sanderson Center every year, and this year in particular marks the runs eigth year. . The event is put together by Bethany Cooper, Wiley and Coleman. 
Wiley explained  how the Fun Run for Awareness came about in just one month following Gee’s death.
“We organized the first race only months after Kim passed away in order to spread the word about the horrific effects of ovarian cancer and to help her family heal. Kim’s family and friends needed an outlet for their grief, and we thought this was a positive way to do so,” Wiley said.
Wiley said she looks at the 5k as a great way not only to raise awareness, but also to provide a pathway for people that have loved ones who are in need of support through their own struggle.
“It would be quite simple to say our main goal is to spread awareness of ovarian cancer. But in doing so we like to promote the health of those who are fighting the illness, provide an outlet for those who have lost loved ones due to ovarian cancer and allow friends and family to show their support of those who are or have suffered from this disease,” Wiley said.
In terms of format, the event is as the name describes it, a fun run. Runners have the option of either participating in the one mile run or the 5k, depending on personal preference. Walking is permitted if need be, and the event is open to all age groups. The race is also described as being noncompetitive in nature and family-friendly as well.
Cooper describes Saturday’s occasion as being “laid back in nature, with friends and family coming together to celebrate Kim’s life, while at the same time being very focused on cancer research and finding a cure.”
Thanks to all of the hard work put in over the last eight years, The Kimberly C. Gee Foundation was able to donate $10,000, a hefty portion of what it has raised overall, to the American Cancer Society for ovarian cancer research. This marks not only a gigantic accomplishment for the foundation, but it is also a massive win for people everywhere suffering from the deadly disease, because it shows that there are people out there who are willing to help however they can.
Coleman characterizes the donation as small in substance but strong in meaning.
“This is a small amount as far as research is concerned, but this amount added with other like amounts could make a difference,” Coleman said. “That is what we want – to make a difference.”