HCDC dedicates October events to LGBTQ Month

Cedric Gathings | Courtesy Photo

The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center will host Mississippi State University’s first national Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer history month starting Wednesday. LGBTQ history month was first established in 1994 by a group of U.S. education-based organizations. The month shares the history of LGBTQ’s rights, as well as related civil rights movements.
Torrenyqua McDonald, junior landscape architecture major who identifies as a lesbian, said the history month will give others outside of the LGBTQ community a fresh perspective.
“In my mind, this month will give people a different view of life. For some people, being a part of the LGBTQ community isn’t normal, but in this generation, it is becoming normal,” McDonald said. “All these different events are definitely a good start.” 
MSU will officially welcome the LGBTQ History Month on Oct. 1 with a reception in the Colvard Student Union in the Old Main Lounge at 5:30 p.m. Jerry Gilbert, MSU Provost and Executive Vice President, will speak at the event.
Cedric Gathings, Assistant Director of Students for  HCDC, said this month is important because it increases awareness of the LGBTQ community.
“A lot of times, what we do not know, we fear. I made it my responsibility to educate and inform people to the best of my ability. Through our diverse activities, we are giving faculty, staff and students the opportunity to get information about the LGBTQ issues that not only students at MSU face, but all throughout the world,” Gathings said.
 “I just want people to be aware of ways that we can support all of our students,”  Gathings said.
HCDC also works closely with the Safe Zone Advisory Board to offer students guidance and information. The Safe Zone program is a collection of MSU volunteers who value cultural diversity and the needs of the LGBTQ community.
“There has always been a relationship between the Safe Zone Advisory Board and our office, but as of the beginning of this school year, we all came under one umbrella,” Gathings said. “Both of our offices want to act as a home away from home for students, for all students, especially for those unrepresented students here on campus. We have well over 400 allies at MSU that have gone through Safe Zone trainings. Students should always feel free to seek those individuals out.”
Students can expect a wide variety of events throughout the month. The month starts with reception and continues with speakers, literature, tailgates and other opportunities.
Ashton Washington, junior kinesiology major, said she feels  MSU is understanding of the LGBTQ community and events like these can only improve overall acceptance. 
“These events are beneficial to the LGBTQ community because it can help both students trying to figure themselves out or students who want to learn more about their community. Not only that, but it also allows the rest of the student body to learn more about that specific community,” Washington said. “My advice for the LGBTQ community?      Do whatever makes you      happy.”