‘Gone With the Wind’ returns to select cinemas

“Frankly, my dear, the world still does give a damn.”

Seventy-five years after its release, “Gone With the Wind” is still a legend of Hollywood’s Golden Age. The epic historical romance, adapted from Margaret Mitchell’s Pulitzer-winning 1936 novel, will forever have a place in the hearts and minds of classic movie fans.

In honor of its 75th anniversary, “Gone With the Wind” will play in select theaters across the country on Sunday and Wednesday. In Mississippi, the film will be showing at the Gulfport Cinemark at 2 p.m. and again at 7 p.m.

After the premiere of “Gone With the Wind” on Dec. 15, 1939, “The Hollywood Reporter” proclaimed the film, “Magnificent and Supreme Triumph of Film History” in its banner headline. 

The film was produced by David O’ Selznick and directed by Victor Fleming.  Selznick was forever known as the man who made this masterpiece of a movie, and he was never able to achieve such greatness again. 

“Gone With the Wind” won 10 Academy Awards, and it received the National Board of Review, USA Award for being among the top 10 films in America.

Those are just two of the 19 different wins this film received. Jeff Baker, WBHE’s Executive VP and General Manager of Theatrical Catalog, said it was an easy decision deciding to release the movie again after 75 years due to its sheer reverence.

“Gone With the Wind” is one of the most celebrated and iconic films in the WB library,” he said. “We are very selective about re-releasing classic films from our library, theatrically, and this is certainly one that warrants the limited re-release. Seventy-five years later, it remains the domestic box-office king at nearly $1.7 billion (adjusted for inflation).”

For those who have not read the book or seen the movie, the plot centers around a young Southern belle, Scarlett O’ Hara, who must use her intelligence and wits to come out of the poverty in which she finds herself after the Civil War.

Her story is one of selfishness, love, determination and above all, strength. O’ Hara is played by the English actress, Vivien Leigh. David O’ Selznick searched for two years for the perfect woman to play this fiery character.

Selznick received letters from fans of the book who wanted to play the role of Scarlett, not because of fame, but because they identified so strongly with her character.

The role of Rhett Butler, the rich and handsome gentleman who becomes enthralled with Scarlett, could not have been played by anyone but Clark Gable.

Now we forever associate Rhett Butler with the most famous line in movie history: “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

According to Jim Vorel, a writer for “Paste Magazine,” the film will be presented with a special introduction from Turner Classic Movie host and film historian, Robert Osborne. Do not miss out on a chance to see one of Hollywood’s most legendary films in theaters; If today you cannot decide whether or not to go, do not worry; as Scarlett passionately states at the end of the film, “after all, tomorrow is another day.”