‘Banned books week’ celebrates reading of outlawed novels

Mitchell Memorial Library at Mississippi State University is hosting “Banned Books Week” to promote reading books that have been banned and to raise awareness about censorship.
Stephen Cunetto, system administrator at Mitchell Memorial Library, said the American Library Association sponsors the event.
“The event is supposed to promote banned books. People are being censored and people need to be able to read what they want to read,” Cunetto said.  
Cunetto said books are made to be read by people and being censored in reading materials is not necessarily a good thing for the public.
“Books are to be consumed by the general public and censorship is not in the best interest of the public,” Cunetto said.
Cunetto said the event will allow individuals to participate in reading various banned books.
“Faculty members are going to come and actually read their favorite books that have been banned,” Cunetto said.
Rachel Cannady, assistant professor at Mitchell Memorial Library, said Banned Books Week is a celebration of reading.
“Banned Books Week is the celebration of the freedom we have to read,” Cannady said. “Librarians fight for people to access all different types of information. Literature is power.”
Cannady said the special week will encourage people to stop and think about how their reading is censored.
“This event should make people think and want to read more,” Cannady said. “It is an opportunity to celebrate many types of books and celebrate the right and privilege to read so many different books for so many diverse cultures.”
 Kathleen Alley, assistant professor of literacy education, said most libraries nationally support Banned Books Week to show how important reading freely is.
“Most libraries across our nation support this event as a part of what they do highlighting the value of free and open access to information,” Alley said. “I am proud that our university library hosts events campus wide and supports this worthy initiative and I work with our Education Library to coordinate activities with the literature courses I teach in the Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education.  Our department, and the entire College of Education, are very happy to partner with the library to support Banned Books Week.”
 Alley said Banned Books Week is important because it brings all types of people from all types of backgrounds together to support the freedom to read the materials they want to read as well as educate them about censorship.
“Banned Books Week is important as it brings together many people across the community – librarians, teachers, professors, students, booksellers, publishers, journalists, and readers – in support of the freedom to access information and express ideas and opinions, even when those thoughts might be considered unpopular,” she said.
“In essence, this event draws attention to the harm done by censoring another person’s rights to access materials and information.”
Alley also said even her own students are surprised to learn about some of the books that have been banned and they discuss book banning.
“Students in my Children’s and Adolescent Literature classes are always surprised by many of the books on the frequently challenged book lists, and we have lively discussions about issues and controversies surrounding book challenges and book banning.”
Alley said even though books are still being banned, hopefully most of the books that have been banned can still be available if people continue to stand up for the right to read what they want to read.
“Fortunately, though books continue to be banned, part of this week’s celebration is that in most cases, the books remain available to the public. This is due at least in part to the efforts of many people across the community who stand up and speak out for the freedom to read,” Alley said. Alley said she wants students at MSU to take part and learn about censorship and why it is an important and controversial issue.
“I encourage MSU students to get involved and learn about this important issue so they can be leaders in the community now and in the future, standing up and speaking out for everyone’s freedom to read, to seek out, and to express ideas – to ensure that all people are afforded this right,” Alley said.
Banned Books Week will take place in the Mitchell Memorial Library at MSU from Sept. 21-27.