‘Sweetheart in September’ brings candy apples

Want to put a huge smile on one of your friend’s faces? Want to get noticed by your crush? Or do you just need to show your significant other that they’re appreciated?

Mississippi State University’s National Association for the Advancement of Colored People presents “Sweetheart in September,” an event which provides the perfect opportunity to show a loved one gratitude and affection.

The event which began Monday runs through Wednesday. Between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., personalized candy or caramel apples will be available for purchase in the Colvard Student Union for $2.

Purchasers of the merchandise          have the option of revealing their identity to their special someone or they could choose to remain anonymous. All of the delicious treats will be available for pick up on Thursday until 2 p.m.

Roderick Erby, junior business information systems major and mastermind behind this event, said he hopes for a great turn out. With the support of students and faculty, he hopes to be the man behind a new MSU tradition.

“‘Sweetheart       in September’     was an idea I came up with as the fundraising chair of the NAACP. It was something different which is what I wanted to bring to fundraising in NAACP,” he said. “I wanted to break the mold as far as traditional fundraisers.”

Erby said he is aware several students have significant others that they would like to illustrate their affection and thanks for, and he hopes that the event will be a success.

“I know that a lot of people have that special someone, and they are always looking to show them appreciation whenever they can­­­­–not only as boyfriend and girlfriend but just as friends in general. I anticipate it to go well, and of course, if it does, it is definitely something I will push to do again,” he said.

Jhona Gipson, senior communication major and NAACP vice president, said she also hopes for good results.

“Since this is a new fundraiser, it’s hard to predict how the student population will receive it, but of course, we’re hoping for great results,” she said. “We’re hoping a lot of people love candy caramel apples and would enjoy sending them to their special someone.”

Gipson said she is confident plenty of students will participate in the event because the fundraiser is unique in several aspects.

“This year we’re really trying to step outside the box when it comes to fundraisers, because we’re sure that everyone is tired of selling raffle tickets, so we strive to think of new innovative ideas that student will respond well to,” she said.

Simone Jones, sophomore kinesiology major, said she supports the fundraiser and has been helping promote the event through social media.

“I am supporting the fundraiser not only to help out the NAACP, but because I love my school. Even though I don’t have a significant other, I will be sending a few apples with silly messages to my friends,” she said.

Students who do not want to purchase an apple can also  donate to the NAACP by visiting donate.naacp.org.