U.K. stands together as Scotland votes against independence

I gasped in horror at the photo in front of me as I perused the Internet. The graphic represented what the famous British flag might look like if Scotland seceded from the United Kingdom. I have to admit I’ve grown rather attached to the flag. Knowing our nation’s colors spring from it is somehow comforting.

Putting sentiment aside, the Union Jack would be the least of the U.K.’s worries if Scotland’s “yes” campaign had proved successful. A third of its landmass would disappear (though population would only decrease by about eight percent.) Those fears can dissipate, as the citizens of Scotland, including many 16 and 17-year-olds, rejected independence in a simple yes or no vote on Thursday. As Americans, we may feel confused as to why in the world they decided against becoming their own independent country, free from England. We did it ourselves less than 240 years ago, and every year we blow up the sky in memory. However, Scotland is not a colony, and here are some reasons why I think they opted to remain united. 

The military would have undergone several complicated changes. Many Scottish soldiers preferred to stay in the British Armed Forces—sorting them out and recruiting would’ve taken a while. Also, Scotland committed to becoming a nuke-free zone upon independence. This means the nukes would’ve had to move back into the remnants of the U.K. Since the U.S. loaned the nukes to the U.K. in the first place, the Brits may have needed to store them temporarily on a U.S. base. All this transportation would have cost quite a bit of money. 

As its own sovereign state, Scotland would’ve most likely attempted to re-enter NATO on its own, a tedious process in and of itself. 

Next is the question of the currency Scotland could use. The Bank of England wasn’t keen to share the Pound Sterling, and the Euro continues to struggle. This would have left Scotland in a bit of a pickle. Possible solutions could have included the use of the pound without the backing of England, or the introduction of a new Scottish currency.   

The rest of the U.K. would have stared uncertainty in the face. Its economy would suffer, and to add insult to injury, Scotland would claim too much of its oil. The U.K.’s power within NATO and the European Union also would weaken. 

In an effort to persuade the Scots not to leave, the U.K. promised them more power concerning taxes, spending and welfare. 

“We will ensure that those commitments are honored in full,” Prime Minister David Cameron said Friday after the election. 

He and the other leaders will probably have to grant similar powers to citizens of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. All of this means a major overhaul of the British government. 

Here’s how this applies to us as Americans: the U.K. has long been one of our strongest allies. Its internal divorce could have proven hazardous for America.  “The U.K. is an extraordinary partner for America and a force for good in an unstable world. I hope it remains strong, robust and united,” President Obama said via Twitter a day before the vote. 

I’m personally very pleased the U.K. will stay together, just as I’m glad America remained unified when the South wanted to leave. It is true that united we (or anyone) stand, divided we fall. 

I also believe it’s a good and healthy change for the U.K. to give more power to the sections of the overall country, much like we do with state governments. I hope the people of the U.K. are able to overcome their differences and remain one of our best allies.