Wiseman’s veto holds firm

Starkville’s Board of Aldermen hosted another public  meeting Tuesday night in which the plus-one insurance discussion was finally brought to a close. Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto  of the board’s 4 to 2 decision to amend the extended coverage last Friday held firm as the board voted again 4 to 2 to override the mayor’s veto. 
The override was unsuccessful in that only six members of the board took vote Tuesday night. Lisa Wynn recused herself from voting and left the building, while remaining board members took vote on overriding the mayor’s veto of plus-one insurance coverage.
The Aldermen vote went as follows: Ben Carver voted yea, David Little voted yea, Jason Walker voted nay, Scott Maynard voted nay, Roy Perkins voted yea and Henry Vaughn voted yea.  Wiseman vetoed this amendment in full support of the original coverage passed two weeks ago.
In a previous interview, Wiseman said he refuses to partake in denying employees the opportunity to receive medical care.
 “I believe we should be in the business of providing the broadest possible options so everyone can have the opportunity to have medical coverage when their loved ones are sick,” Wiseman said. “It is an opportunity that the city is fully capable of providing and it costs the city nothing.”