United States Air Force ‘Band of the West’ to perform at MSU

Courtesy Photo | Jennifer Daffinee
United States Air Force band

The United States Air Force “Freedom Brass,” otherwise known as, “The Band of the West” features a brass quintet that will  conduct a series of public performances and student engagement activities at Mississippi State University on Sept. 15 in the McComas Hall theater.
John Forde, communication department head at MSU, said it is nothing less than a privilege to have the USAF band perform on campus.
“Anytime our military, the people who protect us, come to visit our campus, it is an honor,” he said.
Marketing Representative for the USAF of the West, Jennifer Dafinee, said the band will partake in concerts for civic engagements, and will work with students in college and high school promoting awareness for the air force. 
“It is free, family-friendly event and open to the public. We are looking for a lot of people to come out. A variety of music will be played, so there is going to be fun for everyone,” Dafinee said.  
Following the Sept. 15 performance, the band will also be at Starkville High School working with students on Tuesday, at 9 a.m. in the
Starkville High School Band Hall
and at 2 p.m. at the Mississippi State University Band Hall.
These events will begin on Monday, September 15, at 7:30 p.m. at
Mississippi State University in the McComas Theater.
They will continue   Sept. 17 at 7p.m. at the
University of Southern Mississippi, Marsh Auditorium.
Stationed at San Antonio base, there are 60-plus people in the band. The USAF Band of the West consists of highly-trained professional musicians who have dedicated themselves to serving the country through music.
Master Sergeant Jeff Castle, the non-commission officer in charge of Freedom Brass, said he is excited about the event.
“We are so excited to get to come to Mississippi and meet all of the people. We are also excited to be able to show the public more of the Air Force than just what they see on television,” Castle said.
 “We will be doing some one on one instructional sessions as well as our performances. We are really the true story tellers of the United States Air Force,” he said.