Fall break: perfect time to enjoy movies, outdoors, music

Finally, it is time to take a break from the tests, the homework and those dreaded 8 a.m. classes — the first break of the semester is now upon us.

Students must take full advantage of fall break in order to recuperate for the rest of the semester. There are several ways to get out and enjoy the break, even in Starkville.

Fall break is a great time to venture outdoors. The temperatures have dropped, and summer has finally transitioned into fall.

One great option for the break is to go camping. Camping can be as simple as pitching a tent in one’s backyard for the night or as complex as trekking deep into the woods equipped with all of the essential gear. Starkville residents can enjoy camping at the Oktibbeha County Lake and Campground. 

Kevin Ward, senior biochemistry major, said there are many camping areas as well as fishing piers around this area.

“I enjoy the campground because it is located so close to the lake,” he said.

Students can also visit the Reese Orchard located six miles from campus. The orchard allows visitors to pick their own fruits. The orchard has ripe fruit until around the end of November. Currently, it is promoting its Persimmons selection. For the month of October, it is open all day Saturday and by appointment only for the rest of the week.

Parker Hoyt, sophomore kinesiology major, said he was surprised to find out Starkville boasts an orchard.

“I have picked blueberries before and think it’s cool that they have something like that around Starkville,” he said.

However, if the outdoors are not for you there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the break.

One can begin preparing for Halloween by carving pumpkins or decorating their house or dorm. It is also the perfect time to start searching for that Halloween costume.

Katie Crawford, sophomore criminology major, said she doesn’t think anyone should spend a large amount on costumes.

“I get most of my costumes for on campus events from thrift stores,” she said.

There are also many new movies out just before the holiday season. If you want a thriller, “Annabelle” is perfect. This movie includes a doll that haunts a couple in their own home. However, there are less terrifying options like “Dracula Untold” and “The Maze Runner.” “Dracula Untold” includes vampire attacks and many other exciting scenes associated with the tale of Dracula. “Maze Runner” is based off the book of the same name and is about a boy that loses his memory and is forced to find his way through a maze with a group of other children.

Fall break is treasured time and should be used to its full potential. There are many festivals and other music events that take place during this time and there may be something in your hometown.

This is the perfect time to get away for a few days or to catch up with friends and family at home. Whether you’re catching up on sleep, visiting family or going on an adventure, this break offers time to sit back and relax, even if only for a minute.