Egg Bowl has potential to be No.1 vs. No.2

The 2014 Egg Bowl is shaping up to be not only the biggest game of the year for Mississippi State and Ole Miss, but it could be the biggest college football game in the country.
The rivalry has always had prestige in the state of Mississippi. However, it usually does not stand out on the national stage like other rivalries such as Alabama and Auburn, Ohio State and Michigan or even Oklahoma and Texas. The game has more than once been between two teams that had losing records. It was just nine years ago when a 2-8 MSU team with Michael Henig as its quarterback defeated a 3-7 Ole Miss team with Michael Spurlock under center. The following year was very similar. Ole Miss was victorious in a battle of three-win teams with quarterbacks no one else wanted.
  In the following years, Ole Miss would dominate a terribly underachieving Bulldog team, or MSU would beat up on a struggling Ole Miss team. Sometimes, the underdog would upset the team that seemed better than the other on paper. However, it was extremely rare in the history of the rivalry that both teams were successful coming into the Egg Bowl. That is why those outside of Mississippi do not treat our rivalry like they do other successful college programs. Many critics thought 2014 would be no different, but they were wrong.
Both MSU and Ole Miss are in an unusual spot, sitting atop the SEC standings with 6-0 records. Both teams are also 3-0 against conference opponents. The Bulldogs own impressive wins over LSU, Texas A&M and Auburn. Ole Miss also owns a win over the Aggies and a shocking victory over Alabama at home. MSU is ranked No. 1 in the current Associated Press Poll, and Ole Miss is ranked No. 3. Both teams are led by impressive quarterbacks, who run their respective offenses to near perfection.
Tough matchups are ahead for both teams. State still has to battle a rising Kentucky squad on the road and a tough Arkansas team at home. The toughest task before the Egg Bowl will come on Nov. 15 as the Bulldogs travel to Alabama. The Crimson Tide has not looked as dominant as they have in previous years. Nevertheless, it is always tough to get a win at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
Ole Miss will travel to Tiger Stadium on Oct. 25 to face LSU. The Rebels also have a tough road task against Arkansas on Nov. 22. In all likelihood, the toughest game left for the Rebels before the Egg Bowl will be on Nov. 1 at home against Auburn. Auburn has already suffered a loss at the hands of MSU, and another loss will likely knock the Tigers out of playoff contention. Auburn will consider this a must-win game.
When the dust settles, there is a great chance the winner of the Egg Bowl will in fact be the winner of the SEC Western division. All other SEC West teams have at least one loss, and most still have to play each other. The last and only time MSU has been to a SEC championship game was in 1998, when it lost to Tennessee 24-14. Since the inaugural SEC Championship game in 1992, Ole Miss has never played in an SEC Championship game.  
A game once played for the pride of the third or fourth win of the season will be in the spotlight on Nov. 29. 
Stubhub.com currently has its cheapest tickets for sale at the price of $294.99, and that is for standing-room only. It is a safe bet to say College GameDay will make another trip to Oxford this season.
The Egg Bowl was once considered the only way to salvage a season for two underachieving teams. Now, it will likely give one team a ticket to the SEC Championship game.