Weekend brings outdoor concert, football

Bulldog bash weekend
Austin Grove, Emma Katherine Hutto
Bulldog bash weekend

Justin Moore, the Dirty Guv’nahs,  Drake White & the Big Fire and Tanner Gray are all set to hit the stage at this year’s Bulldog Bash.
 Bulldog Bash is the largest free outdoor concert in the state of Mississippi. It started in the early 2000s at the amphitheater on the campus of Mississippi State University, but with increased budgeting and more exposure, it has grown into the event it is today. It yields over 20,000 people each year. It is a fun-filled event jam-packed with all kinds of activities people of all ages can enjoy. The atmosphere is like no other within the Cotton District of Starkville, Mississippi.
 Adam Pitts, junior business information systems major, currently serves as one of three directors for Bulldog Bash. 
According to Pitts, planning for he and his fellow directors, Margaret Bernheim and Alissa McKinnon,  started in April. Pitts said they have worked throughout the summer to plan and coordinate this event. 
“It has definitely been a huge time commitment, but the pay off will be great come Friday night,” Pitts said.
 Pitts also said there are a lot of logistics for an event this size and a lot of financial backing involved. 
“There are so many details you have to coordinate to put on an event of this magnitude,” Pitts said. “We are thankful with the support of the two percent beverage tax of the city that supports the Center for Student Activities.”
A part of that money and sponsors are used to finance the Bulldog Bash event.
 The process to narrow down and book an artist such as Justin Moore can take months to finalize. Pitts explained briefly how the process has gone the Bulldog Bash team. “We go through many lists of available artists to get quotes from. You will never get your first choice or your second, but with time and patience, we found the right artist at the right price and everything just kind of fell into place,” he said. A process like this can take up to four months to finalize a lineup, which is on time with the April installment of the Bulldog Bash directors.
 Fellow Bulldog Bash director,   Margaret Bernheim, has also been working since April to make this event happen. “One thing that I’m really excited about that is new this year is the Maroon Market,” Bernheim said. “We wanted to think of a way to get people out into the Cotton District during the day rather than just at night for the concert.” 
Bernheim said the Maroon Market will showcase local businesses such as 929 Coffee Bar and LA Green boutique. It will be setup down University Drive starting at Maxwell Street. 
“We’ll also have some corn hole games setup at the Maxwell and University intersection, so we’re hoping people will come out for an afternoon of free fun,” he said.
 In addition to the overall effect of the football game weekend against A&M, added publicity has come into play with ESPN and SEC Network representatives in town. 
“This year we’ve had SEC Network representatives and ESPN anchors asking us about what is it and even talking about it on the air,” Bernheim added. “I think this speaks highly of how everyone perceives the event, and we hope that it continues to grow.”
JoJo Dodd, chief administrative officer of the Student Association said he felt the need to lend advice to any first-time attendees. 
“Get there early. Bring a cooler with water to stay hydrated,” Dodd said. “It’s going to be hot in the crowds, so staying hydrated is important.” 
Dodd also said he is excited for plazapalooza winner, Tanner Gray, to have an opportunity to open the show. 
“I’m looking forward to watching him have his big break at Bulldog Bash,” Dodd said.
  Pitts said he looks forward to seeing all the hard work co-directors and himself have put into the event from months ago and to see everyone come watch the best show of the year.