Football success potentially harms student’s grades

The Mississippi State University Bulldogs have been ranked No. 1 in the college football nation for several weeks now. I think we can all agree it’s loads of fun, and we’ve had a terrific high from it thus far. I know I have. My favorite time of the week is going into my Monday 10 a.m. class and celebrating with my professor and everyone else in the classroom. I am so thrilled and proud to be a student of this school during this time. The amount of recognition, not to mention revenue, MSU is receiving will go miles to make our school better in many areas.

However, there is a phenomenon for which we need to watch out. Research has shown when a school’s football team does well, the GPAs of the students tend to suffer. 

MSU is currently ranked 365 out of 650 schools on Forbes’ list of America’s top colleges, slightly below the middle. Obviously, not all of the data relates to GPA, but I think we as students can do our part academically to climb higher. At the very least, we should not drop lower. 

A study performed by the National Bureau of Economic Research reports on the lower grades achieved during times of football success. 

“We find that the team’s success significantly reduces male grades relative to female grades. This phenomenon is only present in fall quarters, which coincides with the football season. Using survey data, we find that males are more likely than females to increase alcohol consumption, decrease studying and increase partying in response to the success of the team,” they report. 

But they continue, showing that effect is probably not felt just by men.

“Females also report that their behavior is affected by athletic success, suggesting that their performance is likely impaired but that this effect is masked by the practice of grade curving.” 

I want us to continue to win both on and off the field. I believe there are steps we can take to avoid the pitfall of low grades. 

Plan ahead. If you know you will attend a game you might have normally skipped in an average year because of upcoming tests or work, prioritize time to study on Friday. Also attempt 30-45 power minutes on Saturday morning. You will become amazed by how much you can accomplish by studying efficiently. 

In addition, we should not use sports excitement as an excuse for laziness. There is no need for us to tell our teachers, “We’re too distracted because of the game,” and then proceed to underachieve on our assignments. 

Let’s buckle down and do superior work. Furthermore, let’s restrain ourselves from partying too hard. We must also remember as college students that we are now adults with responsibilities. Let us enjoy the game on Saturday and celebrate in positive ways that will not leave us too tired to jump back into studies and homework on Sunday.

I hope we go all the way, both to the championship game and to the highest level of academic success possible.