Students face finals anxiety, anticipate Egg Bowl

With the Thanksgiving holiday swiftly approaching, anticipation of a much needed break is on the rise. With final exams immediately following Thanksgiving break, many students will utilize time during their break to prepare for exams. Other students will use the break to do just that, take a break.

Christopher Crosby, junior industrial engineering major, said this break from class is exactly what he needs to regroup before finals.

“Thanksgiving is a holiday where I get to enjoy being with my family and not having to worry about what test or project I should be working on,” he said.

Anxiety among students also becomes more evident as the end of the semester approaches. Some students use this anxiety as motivation to help them end the semester strong.

Alisa Sullivan, junior social work major, said she will spend her Thanksgiving break wisely.

“For the most part I will be doing a little Christmas shopping and spending time with people that take my mind off of the stress that comes with school, but I have to remember this is just a small break, and it gives me a chance to get some work done so that I will not be cramming it in before finals,” Sullivan said.

There are a   few students coming to the end of their last semester and anticipating graduation.

DaVonta Whalum, senior industrial engineering major, explained the pressures the end of the semester brings.

“I think I can speak for all students when I say nearing the end of the semester brings anxiety and unwanted stress to do well in your classes. This is the last time to prove yourself to instructors, which sometimes can make       or break your grade,” Whalum said. “I have been busy interviewing for jobs since graduation is quickly approaching, so this break is much needed. However, I will also use this break to prepare for finals so that I finish my last semester strong.” 

For many, this time of year is really cherished not only because it is a time where they get to spend quality time with family and friends, but because it is time for the Egg Bowl.

For the first time in history, Mississippi State University’s football program has reached new heights, along    with its rival, the University of Mississippi.

Students consider this year’s Egg Bowl to be the most important one yet due to the desire to prove MSU genuinely deserved the No. 1 spot despite all of the naysayers.

Whalum said she has to watch the Egg Bowl by all means.

“I will spend the first couple of days of break visiting family for Thanksgiving, and then I am off to Oxford to watch Mississippi State win the Egg bowl,” Whalum said.

Crosby said he will be unable to focus on schoolwork until he can see the epic conclusion of the Egg Bowl.

“It’s safe to say all schoolwork will be put on the backburner until Sunday, Nov. 30,” he said.

Campus is filled with mixed emotions about the upcoming break. There is a range of students who want to spend Thanksgiving break relaxing and spending time with family, others want to use that time to prepare for finals and some want to do a mix of the two. One thing students all seem to agree on is the fact the Egg Bowl is a must-see.