Art thesis: ‘From Nothingness’

Courtesy Photo
Michael Wilkerson works to create art sculptures for his senior thesis exhibit.  

Michael Wilkerson will present his Bachelors in Fine Arts thesis exhibit, “From Nothingness,” Nov. 20 in the Colvard Student Union Art Gallery on the Mississippi State University campus.
Michael Wilkerson is an art major from Tupelo, Mississippi. His work is based on the Japanese Tea Ceremony and the Chinese rituals of Zen. Wilkerson said he wants his current works to portray how simple objects can be transformed into beautiful art. 
“Currently I’ve been focused on teapots. My goal is to try and make this ordinary object into something more sculptural and imaginative,” Wilkerson said.  “I really enjoy making teapots because it has several different elements to consider. It’s almost like a puzzle for me. I am always searching for the right part to add next.”  
Wilkerson said even though he has been on different paths during his academic career, he chose to major in art because he likes to be innovative and he is a very reflective thinker. 
“I chose art because I just really enjoy being creative. I’m a fairly introverted person, and I live in my head a lot,” he said. “I think for introverted people it’s almost a necessity to be able to express yourself in some way. Art just felt right. I’ve been playing guitar since I was a kid and music is still important to me. I consider music as an art. I failed music theory though, so I tried art. I was enjoying all the classes I was taking and learning about new materials and processes but everything really changed once I pulled my first pot out of the kiln. That’s when I knew I had found what I was searching for.” 
Wilkerson said he has many favorite artists that inspire him, and he really loves artists that are hard workers. 
“A few artists I admire are Don Rietz, Fukami Sueharu, Sheila Hicks, but honestly, I think my favorite artists are ones who put in a lot of hard work and thought into what they do,” he said. “Even if I am not 100 percent into what they’re doing, I think it makes all the difference when you can tell someone put their all into it.” 
According to Wilkerson, exhibiting an artist’s work is a great opportunity to help the artist become more conscious of what styles work and what styles do not and hearing opinions from the audience helps also. 
“I think installing your work in a gallery really helps you realize what’s not working with your pieces and how you can make it better,” he said. “Having all your work in a clean, open space makes you notice a lot. Also, you get feedback from the public which can be useful sometimes.” 
Robert Long, professor of art at MSU, said Wilkerson has great talent and passion for what he does. 
“Michael is focused and passionate about his creative work in clay,” Long said. “He spends hours assessing, reworking and refining subtle details in his work to push his new found craft to such high standards. He has quickly developed a very personal, mature aesthetic in this medium that most committed artists struggle with for many years to achieve.” 
Long said he believes Wilkerson’s work will broaden people’s minds about ceramic art. 
“Michael’s work in clay will expand people’s understanding of what ceramic art can be and challenge them to see handmade ceramic art in a new way,” Long said. 
According to Long, Wilkerson’s exhibit will allow students the opportunity to see high quality work. 
“Students here at MSU often have to travel to larger cities  to  see artwork of such high caliber, but this show From Nothingness (referring to the clay’s shapeless form before being transformed) is by one of our very own,” Long said.
Brent Funderburk, professor of art at MSU, said Wilkerson is a very reserved artist, and his ceramic teapots are extravagant. 
“He’s very organized, quiet and a very deep thinker. His exhibit is centered on the Tea Ceremony, and his teapots are very fanciful,” Funderburk said. 
Funderburk said he believes Wilkerson’s exhibit will fully delight the audience. 
“It will entertain viewers in a deep, fulfilling way. It’s about beauty,” he said.