Breaking Bad’s RJ Mitte to visit campus

Tonight, Mississippi State  University’s Student Association will sponsor a talk from Breaking Bad actor RJ Mitte. Breaking Bad is an epic drama that played on AMC for five record-breaking seasons encompassing all things Walter White and the infamous blue ice.

Mitte played main character Walter White’s son in the award-winning television program.

Caitlin King, co-director of special events and speakers on the SA Cabinet, said Mitte will speak about his experiences and challenges as an actor living with cerebral palsy.                                                               

“We asked him to come speak because he is a great actor who is living with cerebral palsy,” she said. “We invited him to come speak because we have never had a speaker from his perspective.”

King said Mitte is an amazing role model, and although he battles cerebral palsy, he has not let it hinder his success. She feels this will resonate well with students.

“He is not letting his cerebral palsy get in the way of his dreams, and that is so motivational to me, and I hope it will be motivational for the Mississippi State student body,” she said. “As we get closer to finals, I feel like we lose some of that motivation, and I hope that through hearing RJ Mitte people will see that you can do anything that you put your mind to.”

Drew Dygert, junior agronomy major and Breaking Bad fan, said he was surprised to hear an actor from the popular TV show would be coming to MSU to speak.

“I was so excited when I first heard the actor playing Junior (Mitte) would be speaking here. I never knew that he actually had cerebral palsy,” he said. “I thought it was just part of his role, but when I found out he actually struggles with the condition, I gained so much esteem for him as both an actor and a person.”

Mitte will speak in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and students are encouraged to get their free tickets  ahead of time, which are available in the Colvard Student Union in room 314. The SA special events and speakers committee will also hand out tickets on the first floor of the union.

King said she would like students to be inspired by Mitte’s accomplishments.

“I hope that students receive the mindset that they can do anything through hard work and dedication,” she said.