Q&A with Kelly Ward the Crimson White Sports Editor

Q: How well do you think Blake Sims has led the Alabama offense?
A: Blake Sims has done a very good job of leading this Alabama offense. As the season’s gone on, he’s become more comfortable. As you can tell from Saturday, he can make plays and lead the team in tough situations. He’s the guy you want on third-and-four without any timeouts to run out of bounds for a first down. He has more composure than he did earlier. He’s also a good quarterback. He’s a dual-threat who knows the offense and can come through clutch even if his performance earlier wasn’t his best.
Q: The offense seems to have been a little hit or miss at times this season, how much of that do you put on offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin’s shoulders?
A: To rip off a Seth Meyers joke: Plays are like award show nominees; they can’t all be winners. Still, Kiffin’s going to find something that works. I think Alabama’s offense has been more explosive than in recent history, and that’s on him. He has the pieces to work with, and when something doesn’t work, he dreams up something that will. It also helps having guys like Blake Sims and Amari Cooper, among others.
Q: What is the biggest strength of the Alabama defense?
A: Alabama is the No. 3 rushing defense. It will stop the run. It gave up 89 yards rushing, five of which were in the second half. It has had some trouble with the quarterback run recently, but the teams left are more upfront about that as an option on offense.
4. What is the biggest weakness of the Alabama defense?
A: The weakest link is in the secondary with the cornerbacks, who’ve battled injuries.
Q: How do you think the Alabama defense game plans to stop Dak Prescott? 
Something along the lines of Cover 1 Robber.
Q: Do you think the emotional and hard-fought win in Baton Rouge will affect how the team will play this weekend?
A: It seems like in years past it has, but you can chalk that up to underestimating the team. I don’t think there’s any way Alabama doesn’t know the No. 1 team in the country is coming into Tuscaloosa. It’s going to be a tough game, and if Alabama is going to come out on top, it’s going to need its best.