Sprinkler system fails, possibly displaces 72 Hurst residents

Courtesy Photo | Megan Bean

President Keenum speaks to students displaced by Hurst Hall water leak (photo by Megan Bean / Mississippi State University)

Early Wednesday morning, a newly installed component of the fire suppression system in Hurst Hall on the campus of Mississippi State University failed, resulting in substantial water damage within the building.
Thirty-six rooms were affected and could possibly displace 72 female students for the rest of the fall semester. Repairs are reported to be complete prior to the spring 2015 semester.
According to an MSU press release, the Hurst Hall water damage was due to new components of the fire suppression systems that were being installed as a system upgrade.
Chief Communications Officer Sid Salter said water damage to Hurst Hall and implications of the component failure are still being assessed.
“At this time, we are evaluating both the failed component and the installation of the component in trying to determine the cause of this accident and to take immediate steps to correct the problem,” Salter said.
MSU President Mark Keenum and other officials met Wednesday with students displaced by the water damage in Hurst Hall and provided them with information and housing options and accommodations. Students received premier options to continue their stay at the La Quinta Inn and Suites through the end of the fall 2014 semester.
On Oct. 5, the sprinkler system in Oak Hall caused water damage displacing 198 female residents, due to a candle left burning in a residents’ room. That night, 73 women slept at La Quinta Inn, 64 women slept at other off-campus locations and two women stayed at the university’s Butler Guest House. Women housed on the fourth floor of Oak Hall chose to stay in their own rooms after officials determined no damage was sustained at that level and gave an all-clear.
During an interview with The Reflector, Salter said residents who were displaced from Oak Hall have been situated for weeks now.
“Residents who were displaced from Oak Hall are currently back in their rooms, or in other housing on campus for the rest of the semester,” Salter said.