Jackson mayor dies at age 66

Jackson Mayor Chokwe Lumumba died Tuesday at the city’s St. Dominic hospital. He was 66.
The cause of his death has still not been determined.
Lumumba’s Chief of Staff Safiya Omari announced the news in a press conference late evening on Tuesday.
“It is with heavy heart that we inform you that our beloved brother, human rights activist and mayor of the great city passed away this afternoon,” Omari said, “We ask that you pray for his children and family, his friends and for this great city of ours.”
Mississippi State University President Mark Keenum expressed grief in a statement he issued on the death of Mayor Lumumba.
“I’m deeply saddened over the passing of Jackson Mayor Chokwe Lumumba. While I hosted him in my office while he served on the City Council, the mayor’s relatively brief tenure in office limited our interaction after he was elected mayor.  Our thoughts and prayers remain with Mayor Lumumba’s family during these difficult hours,” Keenum said in the statement.
Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant released the following statement on Tuesday following Lumumba’s death:
“Deborah and I are shocked and saddened by the news of Mayor Lumumba’s passing and are praying for his loved ones. Just a short time ago, I had the opportunity to join the mayor in a church pew as we welcomed a new development to the city. His enthusiasm for Jackson will be deeply missed.”
While speaking to the media gathering later on Tuesday evening Mayor Lumumba’s son Chokwe Antar Lumumba thanked everyone for the condolences expressed, including the well-wishes. 
“We thank you for all the well-wishes which we have received. At this time, what we ask for the most is prayers. For we believe in the power of the Lord,” he said. “We do not have fear because the Lord has not given us the spirit of fear. I thank the city of Jackson. I thank you for giving my father the opportunity to serve the city. It has given him great joy. He has enjoyed working for you. My father dedicated his life to service and working on behalf of all people in serving the interest of Jackson. So we are honored in the legacy he has left. And we thank you for that, allowing him to serve.”