MSU in the running to open new chapter of prominent honor society

Phi Beta Kappa, the oldest honor society for the liberal arts and science with 280 chapters across the United States, is considering Mississippi State University’s application for opening its chapter. Only about 10 percent of the nation’s institutions of higher learning have Phi Beta Kappa chapters. MSU first applied for the honor society’s recognition in 1979. 
A five-member Phi Beta Kappa delegation visited MSU’s Starkville campus Wednesday and met with different groups while on campus. They began their first full day with a meeting with President Mark Keenum followed by a meeting with Provost Jerry Gilbert.
Other meetings included the dean and associate deans of the College of Arts and Sciences, representatives from the Center for Teaching and Learning and ITS, administrators from the Division of Student Affairs, department heads within the College of Arts and Sciences, members of promotion and tenure committees, members of the University Committee on Courses and Curricula, leadership of the Faculty Senate, the Dean of the Library and her leadership team, representatives of the Athletic Department, Student Association President Michael Hogan, the Dean of Students, the leadership of the Shackouls Honors College and MSU faculty who are Phi Beta Kappa members.
Executive Vice President and Provost Jerry Gilbert said in an email he believes MSU presented a positive picture of a university that effectively meets the intellectual and social development of its students.
“We have a supportive and challenging environment in which students learn and mature while completing a degree and preparing to be leaders for the future. Most universities and colleges that are approved to shelter a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa have submitted multiple applications before gaining final approval. MSU has submitted a number of applications, the first one being in 1979. We had an outstanding group of MSU Phi Beta Kappa faculty members who submitted the current application,” Gilbert said. “I think we definitely made an outstanding effort to present our case in the best possible light. I am optimistic about the application and the visit.”
In addition to the meetings, the delegation toured the campus and visited a number of buildings, including Lee Hall, which, once its renovation is complete, will re-house the Department of English and the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures.
Hogan said the delegation was an extremely friendly group with a true interest in learning about all the university has to offer. 
“I had the opportunity to speak on my personal experiences throughout my years here at State while also touching on student life on campus,” Hogan said. “I believe our meeting went well and that our students representing us through the delegation’s visit made a positive impression.”
R. Gregory Dunaway, dean of MSU College of Arts and Sciences, said in an email the site visit went well and the delegation was impressed with MSU’s commitment to the ideals and values of Phi Beta Kappa.
Dunaway said the College of Arts & Sciences and other administrative offices are supporting the chance of opening a MSU chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.
“I believe that they were also impressed with the quality of our students and our faculty’s dedication to student success. I know that they were also very appreciative of how well organized their visit was. President Keenum has made PBK a priority and our provost has been extremely supportive of this effort and the goal of liberal arts education,” Dunaway said. “This level of support resonates throughout the College of Arts & Sciences. Ultimately, we are dedicated to the principle of achieving excellence in higher education through the liberal arts and sciences while also being committed to the legacy of our land grant mission at MSU.”