“…And the Rain Came to Mayfield” comes to MSU

The Mississippi State University theatre department opens “…And the Rain Came to Mayfield,” a contribution to Black History Month and a production set in the early 1960s Mississippi, which represents the reality of a time in history, Thursday.
The play is held each February in the United States and Canada and observed on the MSU campus as well. Black History Month activities are sponsored by African American Studies and the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center.
The performance will include adult language and themes customary to 1960s Mississippi life.
Donna Clevinger, communication professor and theatre director, said she has high expectations for the play and is delighted that it will be a part of Black History Month activities.
“I wanted to show a historically accurate play of the early 1960s,” Clevinger said. “The music of the show is made possible thanks to the general manager of the campus radio station. It’s always wonderful to get help from across campus.”
She said invited scholars will be present during and after the play. 
“They will set the stage for the show since things have changed over the last 50 years,” Clevinger said. “They will help the audience understand what is going on in an educational process.”
Kevin Frazier, freshman animal and dairy science major and an actor in the play, said he describes the play as very dramatic and full of tension. 
“The play shows that we have come a long way since those times and a lot of people need to see that,” Frazier said.
Allison Hopkins, freshman mechanical engineering major who plays the character Dixie, said the audience should expect to be shocked but that the play is comical as well.
Lilly Sheridan, freshman communication and Spanish major, said she serves as the play’s comic relief. 
“My character Mavis is a patron in the store and the hairdresser in town,” Sheridan said. “She is the preface of the play and could be called ‘the calm before the storm.’” 
In addition to acting in the play Sheridan serves as the prop mistress.
Sheridan said she has learned a great deal about racism and the time period of the 1960s by being a part of the production.
“I’ll be backstage making sure everybody gets the correct props at the correct time, and I make sure everything is set on the stage beforehand,” Sheridan said. “I’m serving as a scavenger for finding old props for the play.”
Ryan Newberg, senior psychology major, said he has been a part of plays since high school and that there is not another feeling like being on stage. 
“Even more than that it’s the connections and friendships you make off stage with the other actors,” Newberg said.
The performance will be held Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall. The admission cost will be $10. Tickets can be purchased upon arrival or online at comm.msstate.edu/theatre/tickets.