Softball sweeps home-opening weekend, ready for Florida Atlantic Strike Out Cancer Tournament

Leon Carrubba
MSU’s Women’s Softball

Dominating pitching and hitting brought Mississippi State University’s softball team to a 5-0 opening weekend as the Bulldogs hosted three teams in the 15th annual Bulldog Kickoff Classic. 
MSU outscored its opponents 43-3 and finished the weekend with an SEC-best .098 batting average against, .990 fielding percentage and .519 on-base percentage. 
Head Coach Vann Stuedeman said the opening weekend was a great start to the season. 
“It was nice to see the bats get hot, and we had everybody, the whole pitching staff this weekend,” Stuedeman said. “I think we made one error on the weekend, which is always good to see. (I’m) really excited about our start. We’ll have to dig deep and continue to work hard as we prepare for the conference season.”
In a doubleheader on Friday, the Bulldogs outscored opponents Mississippi Valley State and Northern Kentucky in a 20-1 sweep. The Bulldogs beat Mississippi Valley State in an 8-0 shutout and Northern Kentucky 12-1, each in five innings. 
The Bulldogs improved to 15-0 against teams from Mississippi.
Young pitching was a major contribution for the Bulldogs as sophomore Jacey Punches and freshman Alexis Silkwood each tossed one-hitters. Punches recorded a career-high nine strikeouts in game one. 
Stuedeman said she was pleased with the performances from the young pitchers. 
“We wanted to get them out early, get them some innings and get them some looks where they can build some confidence,” Stuedeman said. “They’re going to have to pitch. They’re going to have to log some innings this year, and we’re going to need both of them. I’m really excited about their start. They both looked poised.” 
At the plate, the Bulldogs drew a single-game record 14 walks in game one with 18 walks for the doubleheader. 
Senior Jessica Offutt scored four runs, drew two walks and drove in a run while junior Katie Gentle and senior Logan Foulks combined to drive in seven runs and draw two walks.
Success continued on Saturday as the Bulldogs recorded two more wins, beating Northern Kentucky 6-1 and Jacksonville State 9-1, each in six innings. 
Freshman Mackenzie Tolar earned her first career start in game one of the doubleheader. Tolar pitched one-and-two-thirds innings before being replaced by Punches, who earned her second win of the season. 
Punches said she feels confident on the mound knowing her team can hit. 
“This year especially, the team has a lot more chemistry,” Punches said. “While you’re on the mound, you know the whole team has your back. Whether you give up a hit or a home run, on the field they’re going to defend as many plays, and at bat they’re going to hit as many balls as they can.”
The offense was led by senior Heidi Shape, who went 3-for-5 with four runs scored, three walks and three stolen bases during the doubleheader. Freshman Caroline Seitz hit her first career home run and two doubles with two runs batted in. 
Stuedeman said she is excited about Seitz’s potential at the plate this season.  
“Caroline is a special player,” Stuedeman said. “This summer I went to see her play summer ball, and every game I went to she hit a home run. I was hoping I was good luck — her good luck charm. She’s really smooth at the plate, and when she stays smooth she can really do some damage.”
In game two of Saturday’s twin bill, the Bulldogs were down 1-0 from a leadoff home run given up by senior Alison Owen. She retired the next 11 batters. In the top of the fourth, sophomore left-fielder Loryn Nichols robbed a home run with a leaping catch over the wall. 
Trailing in the fourth inning did not stop the Bulldogs’ power hitting as MSU scored nine runs on eight hits. Owen earned the victory, striking out 10 batters and allowing just three hits and one run. 
Foulks said it was good to get a comeback victory in the second contest. 
“We’re feeling good and have the expectation to win,” Foulks said. “We had our first comeback victory, so that was good to get under our belt — to know we have a little fight in us. We’re going to stay competitive and keep on fighting. That’s good to know when we go into conference play. We know we can take this good feeling from this tournament and push that momentum toward another win.”
MSU completed the sweep of the Bulldog Kickoff Classic by shutting out Jacksonville State 8-0 in five innings on Sunday. Seitz continued her power hitting with her second home run of the season. Owen recorded her second win of the season as she struck out six batters and allowed just one hit.
MSU seeks to carry the momentum into this weekend’s Strike Out Cancer Tournament hosted by Florida Atlantic University. The Bulldogs will open the tournament with a double-header against Florida Atlantic Thursday. 
The squad will then face Massachusetts and Maryland on Friday before finishing the weekend against Long Island Sunday.