Online Only: Students, faculty gather in disapproval of football player’s anti-gay tweets

Mississippi State University students and faculty members gathered on the Drill Field Thursday morning to peacefully protest against MSU football player Rufus Warren’s anti-gay tweets about the University of Missouri’s football player Michael Sam.

Ravi Perry, political science professor and member of the LGBT community, participated in the peaceful protest. He said members of the LGBT community and its allies decided it was important to gather peacefully to bring awareness to MSU’s lack of response.

“We are trying to bring attention to the issue and invite the university to officially respond and make a statement that recognizes diversity and inclusion does not tolerate bigotry or intolerance on campus,” Perry said. 

Perry acknowledged that Warren has since deleted the tweets and apologized via Twitter, but Perry said the university has an obligation to address the issue.

“If you Google Mississippi State right now, (Warren’s anti-gay tweets are) what comes up — not the traditions or research rankings,” he said. “This is not about the football player. He made an apology. It’s about this is an educational institution, and they have a responsibility to make sure all members (of the university) feel welcomed.”

Perry said the peaceful protest generated a positive response from people walking on the Drill Field.

“It was amazing — we received hugs, high fives, claps and cheers from people of all walks of life on the Drill Field this morning,” he said. “That’s the message, too. We fundamentally believe this is a campus where everyone respects their fellow person.”

Although MSU Chief Communications Officer Sid Salter declined to comment directly on Warren’s tweets, he said the university’s position on the Drill Field gathering is contained in MSU’s nondiscrimination policy that is available to all students.

“I don’t have any comment on the student’s tweets except to say universities value academic freedom and are respectful of freedom of speech,” he said. “It’s a complex balance thing. The university’s position is unambiguous in terms of sexual orientation being a matter of nondiscrimination.”