Starkville-MSU SMART shuttle receives mixed reviews

SMART+Shuttle
MaKyla Spencer
SMART Shuttle

Despite some growing pains, the Starkville-Mississippi State University Area Rapid Transit (S.M.A.R.T.) shuttle service seems to have been mostly successful in January and February. 
Jeanette Bailey, university transit manager, said the shuttles have carried 57,521 riders so far in February, which are more passengers than the entire month of January.
She said MSU Parking Services is aware of some of the early problems with the new S.M.A.R.T. system, but it relies on feedback from people who use the service to work toward improvement. 
“We are always open to options, but everything that we do is run through the grant, so we have to get prior approval from MDOT before we change anything,” Bailey said.  
The S.M.A.R.T. system started running at the beginning of the spring semester and students’ level of enthusiasm for the service is varied 
Leigha Malone, junior history major, said the new system is useful but is sometimes disorganized.
“Sometimes you wait for a shuttle for 30 or 40 minutes, and sometimes they are there within 10 minutes of each other. I feel like they should have a better system,” Malone said. 
Malone shares a car with her sister who works in Columbus, so she said sometimes the Sportsplex Express shuttle is her only option to get to school.  
“It only takes four minutes to drive to campus from my house. I have to walk out of my door at least 35 minutes before class to even make it to class on time if I want to take the shuttle,” Malone said.  “Usually, I leave even earlier than that just to make sure — especially between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. — because you are waiting for a shuttle for an hour at least. It’s just unreliable.” 
The Sportsplex Express route is not the only route with issues. The shuttles are equipped with GPS tracking devices to help potential riders schedule their travel to campus. However, not all buses have been incorporated into the system yet. 
Anthony Lamarca, senior business major, said he has had difficulty tracking the Old Main Express shuttle in the Cotton District.
“I’ve used it a couple times, but there have been instances where I missed it because I was at the wrong stop,” Lamarca said. 
Lamarca explained the Old Main Express has two stops near his house. He said one stop is on the side of the street that flows away from campus, and the other is on the side of the street that flows onto campus. He said the two stops are within visual distance of each other, but if you are at the wrong stop, it takes about 15 or 20 minutes before the shuttle gets back to the other stop. 
“It’s just not a viable option since you can’t track the shuttle,” Lamarca said. 
Some routes do not experience as many issues. 
Randi Kathryn Harmon, junior communication major, said she goes online to see when the shuttle will arrive. She said it is always correct according to her phone.
“I seriously thank the men every day. I could not imagine walking — especially in this weather every day,” Harmon said. “I’m really happy to see everybody that gets off (the shuttle) always thanks the men and always shows their gratitude at the service they provide.”
MSU Parking Services is aware of the issue caused by some shuttles not being traceable, and they have already received permission to add GPS to the shuttles that do not have it yet. When the system is fully implemented, there will also be signs at each shuttle house with constantly updating estimated times of arrival.  The system is expected to be fully implemented by mid-April. 
“Everyone just be patient with us and utilize the service,” Bailey said. “If there are any suggestions or other stops that people want to see added or stops that they don’t think are necessarily as important, email it, email it, email it,” Bailey said. 
Bailey can be contacted at [email protected].