“Othello” brings interaction to Lyceum Series

Mississippi State University’s Lyceum Series will host Shakespeare’s “Othello” Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The production will take place in Bettersworth Auditorium located in Lee Hall. 
Each year the Lyceum Series Committee chooses what shows will be performed and reviews works from a variety of performers and groups. Many of the groups send CDs and video excerpts, which help in decision-making. Student representation is also an important component for deciding.
Stephen Cunetto, member of the Lyceum Series Committee, said the MSU campus is fortunate to have the series.
“One of the unique things about the program is bringing quality entertainment and cultural events to the campus that faculty and students can experience,” Cunetto said. “The series offers a wide variety of music, such as jazz and brass, and also gives the students exposure to theatrical production and dance.” 
Cunetto said the library tries to make sure each of these art forms are covered in each year’s series. Cunetto said his strong theater background and current involvement in theater influences his membership with the Lyceum Series. 
Ameila Treptow, Lyceum Series director, said the series brings in touring groups from all over the country and some international groups, which brings exposure and new experiences to Starkville. 
Treptow said seeing others’ reactions to the productions has been her favorite part of working with the series, which she has been affiliated with for the last two and a half years. 
“The great thing that I love about the acting company is that they present it in an Elizabethan style,” she said. “They interact with and are mixed among the crowd, and they invite people up on stage.” 
The interaction provides the audience with an interactive and different experience. 
“The main goal of the Lyceum Series is to keep the arts alive, important and relevant in people’s lives,” Treptow said. “Everything is so accessible these days with music and other things, so keeping people in touch with the performing arts aspect is what we value.”
Donna Clevinger, communication professor and theater director and a previous director and actor in “Othello,” said college students can learn many important lessons from Shakespeare’s play.
“It has all kinds of lessons about relationships, honesty, jealousy and how to treat your fellow man,” Clevinger said.
Clevinger said Shakespeare’s tragedies, comedies and historical plays are incredible and provide a plethora of information. 
“Shakespeare is a timeless writer — that is why we still do Shakespeare today on stage and have classes that teach Shakespeare,” she said.
Clevinger said she encourages students to attend “Othello” because she thinks the play can help stduents. She said the play is full of wonderful characters but one of her favorites is Evil Iago.
In addition to the American Shakespeare Center’s performance of “Othello,” the Lyceum Series will provide workshops earlier that day, one of which will include a combat workshop so students can learn how to stage fight. The following week after “Othello,” the Lyceum Series brings in the Koresh Dance Company, which will also perform in Bettersworth Auditorium. 
For more information regarding the workshops those interested can contact Treptow at 325-2930 or [email protected]. All Lyceum Series events for MSU students are free of charge and all are encouraged to attend.