Hear from head coach John Cohen

Opening statement:
“I feel like we’ve had a good week of preparation, and our kids are excited about going down and playing a really good LSU team in a great environment in Baton Rouge. This has been a long-standing series, and there have been a lot of great games over the years. I feel like it will be really competitive. Again, our kids are really excited about this great opportunity they have.”
On MSU and LSU adjusting to losing key players from a year ago:
“I think LSU lost some really good players from a year ago, but I think they have really good, young, talented kids who have taken their place. I think (pitcher Austin) Nola is one of the best in college baseball. They are a very good offensive team. They had a very good offensive night (Wednesday) night again McNeese State. After last weekend (swept by Florida), I know for sure there is a sense of urgency, but I feel like we have a sense of urgency as well, and I think, again, it’s going to be another great SEC weekend and another great Mississippi State vs. LSU weekend.”
On the rivalry with LSU:
“I think having played in it, I thought it was great. I think the reason why you get a sense of rivalry is because for a long period of time Mississippi State and LSU really had two of the only fan bases in the Southeastern Conference in terms of schools that will travel and show up for games consistently. You look at the 70s, 80s and 90s; those two have been a constant. It’s kind of like any regular sport. When we play Vanderbilt on the weekend, I think that’s a rivalry. When we play Ole Miss, that’s a rivalry. I think you can make a case for any weekend in the league.” 
On pitching rotation for this weekend:
“We know for sure (Preston) Brown is not going to throw (Friday) night. He threw a bullpen earlier in the week and had a little bit of a shoulder issues. We’re going to have to adjust to that, whether that’s moving Ross (Mitchell) up into Brown’s spot, we don’t know. Ross really wants to pitch on Friday night having talked to him Wednesday, but we have to wait and see how he feels. Whenever you’re moving guys around, you’re in a situation to find out what’s best for that young man and how he feels. For right now, we would probably go Ross, Trevor (Fitts) on Saturday and then wait and see how Brown’s shoulder is doing on Sunday.”
On Brown’s confidence on the mound this season:
“He’s got a tremendous sinker. So he’s got guys missing over the top of the ball and hitting ground balls, and we’re defending behind him. It gives him a chance for quick innings, and I think that builds confidence for him. He’s had two great fall (seasons) in a row. His whole deal was, ‘Man, I need to put some outings together in the spring.’ And we gave him some midweek opportunities. He made the most of those and got his chance on the weekend, and he’s pitched well on the weekend. We just need to get him healthy again. When you pitch, there are times when your arm is not going to be feeling great, but hopefully we can get him back maybe for Sunday.”
Other pitching options for the weekend:
“Ben Bracewell is a possibility. Dakota Hudson has been throwing the baseball really well. Vance Tatum is someone who has pitched really well out of the bullpen. We feel like we have some options, we just don’t have a ton of experience. (Bracewell) has experience, but he’s been so good in relief. (Brandon) Woodruff has pitched well in relief. When these guys get comfortable coming out of the bullpen, it’s hard to take them out of that comfort zone.”
On facing LSU pitcher Austin Nola:
“Nola is really good. He’s a strike-thrower, and he’s got great stuff. He’s really hard to beat. You have to get a key hit. Somebody has got to stand in there and get that hit-by-pitch or the walk. And you’re talking about two really good defensive ball clubs, so somebody’s going to have to make a mistake in order to beat Nola. He will certainly be a challenge, but I think their other guys will be very competitive as well.”
On health of C.T. Bradford:
“I think he’s moving around better. Does he play (Friday) night? We’ll have to wait and see. We’ll have to run him around and see how he’s reacting. Hopefully we can have him on the field some point this weekend.”
On offensive production:
“Our goal is to beat the game. We have certain charts that reflect how we practice. If we beat the chart, I feel like we have a great chance to win the game. I think our kids are more in tune with beating the chart and eliminating the average fly ball, eliminating strikeouts and getting to first base.” 
On strength in the SEC West:
“I really don’t put any stock into who is where after three weeks. We have seven weeks left, and LSU certainly is not going to be in the basement when it’s all said and done. It’s all about your body of work, not about two or three weekends. If somebody judged our club after two or three weekends last year, they would have thought we wouldn’t have been a very good ball club, but I think at the end of the year we were one of the elite ball clubs in the country. We’ll see what transpires. We have to keep playing good baseball to have a chance to compete in the best league in America.”