Students reflect on final week of classes, prepare for finals

“I’m just taking tests and trying not to die,” said Graham Arinder, freshman biomedical engineering major, while reflecting on the final full week of classes. 
After a long enduring semester, the last full week of classes at Mississippi State University has reared its head.
According to an article published by The Washington Post, students who are usually seen double-fisting caffeinated beverages, munching on sugary snacks, shuffling around papers and books to find a place to lay their head and sleeping very little is not uncommon.
 On the contrary to the typical “overwhelming” experience perceived to be brought on by the end of the semester, Amber Bennett, freshman psychology major, said she is not quite ready for the semester to end, being that her home is miles away in Texas.
“I’m not ready to leave,” Bennett said. “I’ve made so many friends and I really love it here. I feel pretty good about my classes and finals because I’m exempt from some of them, and the others won’t be too hard.”
According to the American Time Use Survey, from a 2005-09 window, students spend 3.6 hours engaged in educational activities, 8.4 hours are spent sleeping and 3.5 hours are spent participating in leisure activities and sports during a normal school week.
Finals week and the final week of classes seem to present opposite results.
Although feelings of happiness and content are expressed by some students in light of the semesters end, other students said they feel otherwise.
Erin Campbell, senior marketing major, said being a senior during this time is equivalent to having a lot of things thrown to you at once.
“Frustrating, time consuming, sleepless, challenging but fulfilling is how I would describe the last few weeks,” Campbell said. “The semester did go really well for me, even though I have two 30-page papers to turn in. I’m glad they are group papers though.”
Some students said this semester’s end will be full of studying from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and enjoying nights of relaxation. Others described finals as drastic and drowningly awesome.