Family, close friends recall student’s inspirational character

Keyone Docher
Courtesy Photo | Sydney Armer
Keyone Docher

Charkelcy ‘‘Keyone’’ Docher, Mississippi State University junior music education major, died on the morning of April 5 in Hattiesburg, Miss., while attending the Mississippi American Chorale Directors Association Conference along with students from Starkville High School.
Docher was a piano accompanist for Starkville High School and a choral music conductor for Choctaw County High School.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. on April 12 at the Choctaw County Ty Cobb Building located in Ackerman, Miss.
Inspirational, determined, loving and supportive, are the words friends and family used to describe Docher’s character.
Sydney Armer, sophomore art major and close friend of Docher’s, said after knowing Docher for three years they became as close as siblings.
“Charkelcy was such a wonderful person with a loving spirit and was always happy,” Armer said. “The guy was wise beyond his years. You never really got to see him upset about anything. He would always tell me that life is beautiful and that it’s a gift.”
Docher was a St. Jude patient diagnosed with a terminal cancer of the nasal cavity on March 3, 2001. He went into remission six months after, and was successful in beating the cancer. Although successful, Docher still had other respiratory problems that affected his breathing.
According to Armer, Docher was passionate about music and loved listening to gospel, jazz and blues. He also loved helping his community.
“He was so supportive and an inspiration to many,” Armer said. “Words can’t express my boundless gratitude I have for him. I’ll always love him, and he will always be connected to me.”
Docher recently performed at the Ragtime Jazz Festival that was hosted March 28-29 on campus, and was recognized by WCBI for relentless efforts to persevere even with obstacles in the way. 
He was also honored during last year’s Relay for Life event.
Armer said Docher loved to fish, hunt and ride horses.
She also said he had an immense love for his family.
Alexandria Wilson, junior communication major, said she did not know Docher personally, but his spirit was bright enough to touch her in a positive way.
“He always had a high spirit,” Wilson said. “He was very musically talented.”
Jay Miller, cousin of Docher, said he recalls growing up with Docher and the two being like brothers.
“He was a role model in our church family,” Miller said. “He was a straight A student. He was also a huge MSU fan.”
According to Miller, Docher graduated from Weir High School located in Weir, Miss., in 2011 at the top of his class and attended the Mills Spring Missionary Baptist Church. 
Miller said Docher constantly cracked jokes and possessed a sense of humor that made him funny to be around at times.
“He would put his arms around himself and just twist,” Miller said. “He was just funny all the way around. If someone did something stupid or silly, he would crack jokes, but not in a disrespectful way. He was just funny.”
Docher discovered music to be a gateway from any hardship in life, according to Miller.
“He sang a song at my grandfather’s funeral and it was very touching,” Miller said.
Although being a grade level above Docher in school, Miller said Docher taught him geometry.
“The influence he had on my life is permanent,” Miller said. “He instilled a lot of great qualities within me like honesty, perseverance, how to be strong-willed and confidence.”
Miller said Docher loved his niece Kaitlyn very much, and his inspirational, loving, kind-hearted, optimistic and spiritual nature affected anyone he came into contact with.
“He taught me to be the person I want to be, but to be sure that the person I want to be is the person God wants me to be,” Miller said.
Tammy and Charles Docher, parents of Charkelcy Docher, said their son was nothing less than an inspirational, intelligent, God-fearing young man.
“Keyone was very giving and always sought to inspire others to overcome any obstacles placed before them,” Tammy Docher said. “He enjoyed hanging out with family and friends, riding horses and most of all serving the Lord.”
Tammy Docher said Charkelcy’s most passionate love was classical music and southern gospel, and he was one of MSU’s most loyal and proudest fans.
“My son lived his life to the fullest every single day,” Tammy Docher said. “Keyone’s inspiration came from the leadership of the late Bishop G.E. Patterson. Charkelcy was always ready and willing to lend a helping hand whenever needed.”