NSSE engages student opinions, announces winners of web survey

Russell Houston | Public Affairs
NSSE survey winners

The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) provides Mississippi State University students the opportunity to have their voices heard. 
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness (OIRE) worked with Director Ann Bailey and Associate Director Dante Hill in Housing and Residence Life in a collaborative effort to rally freshmen and seniors living on campus to participate in the survey. The residence hall floor wing with the highest percentage of completion receives a pizza party hosted by OIRE.  
During the months of February and March, a mass email was sent out to freshmen and seniors asking them to complete a web based survey that would anonymously share their overall MSU experience.  The NSSE results are grouped within four themes: Academic Challenge, Learning with Peers, Experiences with Faculty and Campus Environment. This year’s theme is “Love Your State? Share Your MSU Experience.”
The OIRE contributes the majority of survey participation to the several incentives provided by Barnes and Noble Bookstore, Campus Book Mart and The Lodge. Four students who participated in the survey were randomly selected as winners. Shannon Manson won a $50 gift card from Barnes and Noble Bookstore, Corey Fry won a $50 gift card from Campus Book Mart, Troy Chan won an MSU T-shirt from The Lodge and Tyler Camp won an MSU windbreaker courtesy of The Lodge. 
Mitzi Johnson, associate director of institutional research, said the results received from the survey only aims to improve MSU as a whole.
“It is so important that we hear about your MSU experience. This is one avenue to have your voice heard,” Johnson said. “The biggest thing the NSSE results have contributed to is the validation for the need for writing skills across the board. The Maroon and Write program was established to help develop students’ education.”
The 2014 NSSE response rate included a 2.6 percent participation increase from last year. 
Timothy Chamblee, director of institutional research, said he is pleased more people participated in the survey this year.
“The survey is the best means for students to provide feedback on any areas where they are unhappy. We certainly encouraged students to participate. The more students you have participating, the more confidence you have in the results,” he said.
Tyler Camp, MSU senior who received a prize in the survey participation drawing, said the survey was an excellent chance for him to express himself, and he does not understand why students would not take advantage of it.
“Student governing organizations, departments and the administration all look at the results from this survey. It’s an easy act to take to provide an even better experience for prospective students,” Camp said. “It seems that the students that aren’t involved with the survey are likely to be the main ones to complain first. I’m a strong advocate for speaking what’s on yourr mind in a tactful way.”
Camp said surveys are equal to instruments students should participate in to assist the University with continuing forward  in success.
Camp also went on to express how proud he is to be a student at MSU.
“I think we are doing great things here at Mississippi State University. It’s vital that we continue to improve on what we are already doing great,” he said. “I’m blessed with the opportunity to always hold the alumni status as a forever Bulldog. I can’t wait to give back to the uwniversity that has given so much to me.”