Environmental Health and Safety Department Offers Course

Environmental Health and Safety Department at Mississippi State University offers a defensive driving course cost at no cost to MSU employees, including student workers, which offers practical strategies to reduce collision-related injuries, fatalities and costs.
There are two sessions limited to 15 participants each. The first session is offered Wednesday, April 16 from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. in room 119 at the Institute for Genomics, Biocomputing and Biotechnology, Pace Seed Building. The second session  is offered April 17 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.  in the same building and the same location.
Alicia Musselwhite, safety officer for the environmental health and safety administration, said the driving course is offered through the National Safety Council and participants will be certified in defensive driving.
“This class is offered to MSU employees, and all attendees will receive a nationally-recognized certification from the NSC,” Musselwhite said.
Amanda Gammill, student worker in the event services department at MSU, said she will take the defensive driving course.
“I think the class would teach me things about driving that I did not know before,” Gammill said.
Gammill also said she thinks  the class will be beneficial to MSU in many ways.
“Starkville is a small town with a lot of college students,” Gammill said. “I think that students taking this course could lessen the amount of accidents on campus and in Starkville.”
Gammill said she would like to learn more about driving in different types of weather.
“I would love to learn about driving in uncommon weather conditions, especially in rain,” Gammill said. “And I am sure that the course will teach some other things about driving that nobody knows or really thinks about.”
Kyai Williams, freshman  whose major is undeclared, said she would not take the course because she feels she already knows most of the things she needs to know.
“I took driver’s education and my father is a truck driver,” Williams said. “My dad taught me how to operate a vehicle pretty well.”
Williams said even though she would not take the course, she thinks it would benefit MSU greatly.
“Some people do need to know how to drive better,” Williams said. “I think people who are not used to driving or need more practice with their driving skills would especially benefit.”
Williams said if she took the course she would like to learn more about how to prevent driving-related fatalities.
“I would like to learn more about how to prevent deaths due to car wrecks,” Williams said.
Those interested can register by visiting ssl2.msstate.edu/orc/workshops/loginehs.php. Those who have questions about the course or need special assistance relating to a disability, can contact MSU safety officer Alicia Musselwhite at [email protected]