MSU hires first ASL interpreter

Mississippi State University has hired its first full-time sign language interpreter. In the past, MSU hired temporary interpreters for various events such as graduation or tours. However, Niall Cook will serve in a permanent position from the Student Support Services office. He looks forward to assisting the American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter program’s development.
The Student Support Services (SSS) offers two programs to assist students. The first is covered by a federal grant from the US Department of Education.  It provides academic support to both first generation, low-income college students and students with disabilities. Services include priority registration, testing services, counseling and guidance, career development and tutoring. Unfortunately, the grant only covers 160 students. For that reason, the second program, Disability Support Services (DSS), was formed. DSS offers the same services as SSS and acts as the coordinator between students with disabilities and the surrounding university. 
DSS ensures the university accommodates the students’ needs properly.
Cook refers to himself as a “language nerd.” He said he is familiar with German, Russian, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. He also said he strives to be able to talk to everyone from every walk of life. His journey toward mastering sign language started in 1993 during his college years at the University of Mississippi. He became friends with a sign language interpreter, and she urged him to pursue interpreting as well. 
Cook said learning ASL was a challenge but worth it because it can help so many people in the long run.
“Some people are good at math — I’m good with languages. It is very important that MSU have an interpreter because, besides some community colleges, I don’t know of any universities that have full time interpreters,” he said. “I want MSU to have to hire more interpreters. One of my goals is to recruit more deaf students. I love the diversity.”
Cook does not just work with the deaf, but with all children dealing with sensory impairments. Whether he is working directly with students or interpreting for campus events, Cook plans to assist wherever he is needed.
Julie Capella, assistant dean of students and Student Support Services director, said MSU is a community and this is its way to make sure all members of the community feel welcomed.
“We’ve had interpreters before on a ‘call as needed’ basis. However, when we learned that a deaf student from Boys’ State was coming to State, we saw there was a real need for a permanent interpreter. Currently, MSU is a leader in the Southeast in providing services to the disabled,” Capella said. “We plan to continue developing our community. We want students with any disabilities to know that there is always someone they can talk to here.”
Capella went on to say Cook is an integral member of the team. She said Cook is a great fit on multiple levels. 
“Niall came very well recommended. He is one of the top interpreters in the state of Mississippi. More than that, he has the perfect personality that meshes great with our family,” she said.
Cook said his most powerful push toward loving ASL was when he worked at Mississippi School for the Deaf. While there, someone once again insisted he become an interpreter. In 2001, he took a state-level assessment for pre-certified interpreters. He received a three — the highest grade one could make. He was then told it was nearly unheard of for an individual to make such a high score on the first try. In 2002, Cook became a nationally-certified interpreter. Today, he still credits his friend at Ole Miss for the spark that led him to become an interpreter.