Nepalese exhibit culture through music, dance, fashion Saturday

The Nepalese Student Association at Mississippi State University will showcase Nepalese culture in the form of music, dance, fashion show and food Saturday at 4 p.m. in the McComas Hall auditorium. 
Sushil Poudel, president of the NSA, said he believes this event will bring international and American students together, as more than 300 students are expected to attend.
“At first we expected 200 attendees, but with the active participation from members and help from the other organizations on campus, we are expecting more than 300. This is a beautiful opportunity for the association to accustom all other international students and Starkville communities about Nepali culture, tradition and values,” Poudel said.
Shwadhin Sharma, information systems Ph.D. student at MSU, said he will perform two popular Nepali songs at the event.
“I have been practicing my songs for a while now, almost a month. We have been engaged on other planning activities related to the event for more than two months. Being the vice president of NSA, I have been allocating my times between coordinating the event and practicing for my performance,” Sharma said. 
The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and the Student Association are the primary sponsors for the event. 
The NSA came into existence in 2009, and this is the first event the student organization has organized on this scale.
Poudel said NSA has always been an active student association that has served Starkville communities by organizing blood drive programs and movie nights and participating in Habitat for Humanity events and the international fiesta.
“The plan to organize an event such as Nepal Night was always there, but with less than 40 Nepali students in the university, we were always limited on resources. With the help of many sponsors within and outside Mississippi State, the event is finally possible,” he said.
Uttam Adhikari, electrical and computer engineering Ph.D. student, said he will play the madal, a traditional musical instrument played folk songs in Nepal.
“I am excited for the event. This is the first-ever cultural event organized by Nepalese Students Association at MSU that aims to show different aspects of the cultural dimension of Nepal. I think this is very good exposure opportunity for us around the university about Nepal,” Adhikari said.
Authentic free food will be served from 4 p.m., and the cultural evening will begin at 5 p.m. on Saturday. For more information call 818-312-1977.