Cell phone service to improve during football gamedays

Stadum
Stadum

Mississippi State University requested permission to amend an existing lease agreement with New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC for space in Davis Wade Stadium to the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, according to the Feb. 20 board agenda.
According to the report, in June 2011, the Board of Trustees approved, and MSU entered into an agreement to lease approximately 1,635 square feet of space in Davis Wade Stadium to NCW. NCW has used this space to install a distributed antenna system to provide cellular coverage for individuals attending MSU football games. Because NCW wants to expand the distributed antenna system and because the leased space does not provide adequate ceiling height for certain equipment, MSU and NCW propose to amend the agreement to move the leased space to a different location within Davis Wade Stadium. An expanded distributed antenna system will enhance NCW’s ability to sublease space on the system to other providers, thus providing additional revenue for MSU.
Bill Martin, assistant athletic director for media relations at MSU, said major carriers including Verizon Wireless, AT&T and C-spire have an advantage in the stadium. 
“In addition to AT&T, other carriers will be able to have better reception for voice, data and texting. We are hoping to make these improvements by this coming season,” Martin said in an email. “We are looking at addressing these concerns in the near future as well to improve Wi-Fi Service.”
Caroline Harris, sophomore elementary education major, said her experience with cell phone service in Davis Wade has been terrible.
“It is nearly impossible to communicate with anyone through texting/calling and the Internet,” Harris said. 
Chelsea Carter, senior communication major, said she uses Verizon Wireless, and last football season she never had service when she went to football games.
“As soon as I walk into the stadium, it’s like my phone doesn’t work at all until the game is completely over. My phone stays out of service,” Carter said. 
According to the Board of Trustees consent agenda, the amendment will not immediately increase revenue for MSU. However, the amendment will allow NCW to sublease space on the distributed antenna system to Verizon Wireless at which time — according to the terms of the original agreement – MSU will receive 30 percent of the sublease revenue. The amendment does not change the term of the agreement. The term remains 15 years starting on June 22, 2011 and ending on June 21, 2026.