Club to hold candlelight vigil for Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nearly 45 years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot while standing on the second floor balcony of his motel in Memphis, Tenn. Along with his wife and four children, King left behind a legacy of peace, love and freedom. Tonight at 6, his legacy will be honored with a candlelight vigil at The Junction.
The event is sponsored by the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, a campus organization that strives to enhance the college experience of culturally diverse students. The HCDC has coordinated a variety of different outreach events aimed at cultural awareness and sensitivity since its conception in 1979, when it was known as the Office of Minority Affairs. The HCDC will provide over 300 candles to illuminate the night in King’s honor.
A keynote address will be given by Michael Williams, assistant professor of history here at Misssippi State University, titled “Upholding the Legacy.” Ra’Sheda Forbes, assistant director of the HCDC, is spearheading the organization and planning of the event. Forbes said this is the first time the center has done something to honor the life and legacy of King. She said Alpha Phi Alpha Inc., a prominent African American fraternity on campus, will also be making an address.
“I think a lot of people don’t realize that Dr. King was actually a member of Alpha Phi Alpha,” Forbes said.
Two different groups will give musical tributes at the event. One of these is Doss Family Singers, a Southern Gospel group consisting of a mother and her three daughters based out of West Point. Also paying musical tribute is the Black Voices Choir, a student operated praise group that has been active for the last 39 years.
Junior kinesiology major Erika Lowe, president of the Black Voices Choir, explained how grateful the group was to be a part of this event.
“I think it’s such an honor to be a part of this type of reflection,” Lowe said.
When asked if the group had selected any songs with special meaning for the occasion, she said, “One of the songs we’re singing is ‘Ride on King Jesus,’ and in that song, it says no man can hinder me. When you believe in something, you’ve got to push on, no matter what stands in your way. I think that describes the life Dr. King lived.”
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be moved to the Bill Foster Ballroom on the second floor of the Colvard Student Union.