How to deal with the distance: tips for long term relationships

For all of you star-crossed lovers on campus who just went from spending every waking second with your sweetie during the break to finding yourself hours away because of a long distance relationship: you are not alone. Though these first few weeks may be the hardest to readjust to this drastic change, there are some tips to keep in mind regarding staying in touch with your significant other.
My first bit of advice is to use the mail service to your advantage. A heartfelt note received by snail mail is a great way to show your loved one you took time to make them feel special.
The possibilities are endless pertaining to what you can mail. Some suggestions would be his or her favorite candy – Hershey Kisses and Hugs -  or my favorite, gift cards. Sending a Starbucks, Smoothie King or other kind of gift card will perk up his or her week with a little something sweet.
Remember: thoughtfulness is key. Try to relate any personal touches or experiences through these little happies.
Another idea is to spend time planning an event-filled weekend together for the next time you will see each other. Be a tourist in your own town, and look into going to museums, zoos and local restaurants. This could be even more fun if your boyfriend or girlfriend lives in a town large enough to offer lots of activities.
 Sporting events, such as Mississippi State University basketball and baseball games, are a great excuse for your honey to make a drive to Starkville. Make a weekend out of it by going to eat somewhere the two of you have never been before. If your other half goes to another college, consider taking a drive for one of his or her athletic events.
Making mixed CDs offer a thoughtful way to get personal. Each track could mean something special to your relationship, or it could simply ease his or her drive home from visiting you.
Sending photographs is easy, and seeing pictures of the two of you together can brighten both of your days, since you don’t get to see each other in person very often.
Another idea for some couples is to choose to watch a movie at the same time or keep up with a TV series whether live or on Netflix. These are fun ways to connect and have something in common to discuss, rather than the day-to-day grind.
Last but not least, there are live video feeds. Skype and Facetime with iPhones are two ways to keep in touch while getting to see their face and hear their voice.
A long distance relationship is all about patience, trust and thoughtfulness. It is great to go ahead and prepare yourself, knowing you are not going to be able to see him or her as much as you did over the break, but that it will be worth it in the end.