SA organizes glow run benefiting Blair E. Baston Hospital

Mississippi State University’s Student Association will host its first “On Your Mark, Get Set, GLOW” 5k run on Feb. 7 in sponsorship of the Blair E. Batson’s Children’s Hospital in Jackson.
Brett Harris, SA co-director of Late Night Events, said the main focus of the run is giving back.
“We are also remembering the students and faculty that have passed away while at State over the past few years,” he said.
SA will host Emma Welch, daughter of former MSU football player Casey Welch, as a Blair E. Batson Hospital sponsor on race day.
In an email supplied by Brett Harris, the Welch family said their daughter’s health is improving thanks to the care she received from Batson Children’s Hospital.
“Without the dedication to their specific fields and the care Emma received from the doctors and medical staff at Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital Emma would not be doing as well as she is and possibly might not even be with us today,” the email from Brett Harris said.
The 5k and fun run provide students a unique opportunity to light up the night. The race will start at 7 p.m., and each participant will be provided a personal glow stick.
Participants are encouraged to dress in glow attire.
SA President Shelby Balius said she expects the race to become an annual MSU event.
“We are looking forward to continuing this event as a tradition for many years to come,” Balius said.
Haley Shook, Late Night Events committee member, said so far the run has been a success and that it is a tradition she felt had staying power.
Shook also said having the run at night gave it a different feel from other fundraisers.
“I think the coolest part is that it’s at night and everyone will be wearing bright neon shirts,” Shook said.
The race begins and ends at the Amphitheater, making a loop around campus.
Runners can choose to participate in a 5k run, 5k walk or a one-mile fun run.
Race day registration begins at 5:45 p.m. and continues until 6:30 p.m.
The top three male and female participants in each category will receive a medal.
In addition, the participant wearing the best neon costume receives a prize.
Registration for the run is currently underway at $20 per person until Feb. 1, and then the price increases to $25.
Participants are guaranteed a T-shirt, glow stick and a special gift if registered prior to Feb. 1.
After the race, SA will host a glow party featuring DJ Glotron for all registered participants.
Harris said an additional disc jockey is scheduled to play on the course.
Students can register for the run at sa.msstate.edu or by stopping by the SA office in the Union suite 314.