Women’s golf tees off in home tourney

Mississippi State University’s No. 8 women’s golf team has begun the 2013 season on a torching hot start.  This past weekend, the Bulldogs carried a hot streak of consecutive top-10 finishes into the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship, where that streak would continue to sizzle.  The Lady Bulldogs finished the tournament tied for ninth, marking their 13th consecutive top-10 finish, which is now a school record.
The team started strong in the tournament — finishing the first round shooting 9-over-par 293. A heavy dose of rain suspended play on the second day, but when it resumed on the third day, the Lady Bulldogs finished by shooting 25-over-par 593.  
Despite the team’s finish in the top 10, head coach Ginger Brown-Lemm said both she and the team felt disappointed with the way they played.  
“It’s kind of a let-down actually,” Brown-Lemm said.  “We went up there and played so well in our first event, but in our second event the golf course was completely different. The team was disappointed as well, but that’s a good thing because that means they’re hungry to do better.”
The team also received news that its All-American and All-SEC junior Ally McDonald finished in the top-10 individually, claiming eighth place in the tournament and notching her sixth-consecutive top-10 finish.  Even with the successful performance, McDonald said she still sees room for improvement.   
“I gave up several shots on the greens due to three putts, which you never want to do,” McDonald said via email.  “I could have played a lot better, but overall, it was a solid tournament to pull out a top-10 not playing my best.”
With the recent success of the Lady Bulldogs, it is evident the team is on the right path. But with success comes expectation, and Brown-Lemm said the team has set a climate of high expectations.
“Since I got here, the coaching staff and I have been committed to setting a standard of commitment.  It’s the little things that you do every single day that add up to success,” she said.  “I give the credit to those girls. It’s their work ethic and effort they give everyday that leads to this, and it’s paying off.”
The team came into the season ranked No. 30 in the country and has now moved all the way up to No. 8.  
Senior Mary Langdon Gallagher said she credits experience for the team’s early success.   “We have four of the five players that played in NCAA’s returning to play this season along with some great freshmen,” Gallagher said via email.  “I think now that some of us have tasted what it feels like to play in a NCAA championship, we want to go back for more.”
MSU is now preparing to host its second annual Old Waverly Bulldog Invitational  on Monday. The invitational will include 11 top teams in women’s collegiate golf.  In this tournament, Brown-Lemm said she is anticipating seeing her team recognize its potential.
“I’m looking forward to them being patient out there and believing in themselves,” she said.  “The talent is there, and the work ethic is in play, so now they can enjoy themselves. Go play the tournament and take the title they deserve.”
McDonald said she thinks playing at home gives the team an edge and adds to the team’s confidence.
“Knowing that we have been in certain situations will calm the nerves and allow us to play with a bit of freedom.  We know how to play the course. I have no doubt that we are capable of bringing home the trophy as long as we take care of business,” she said.
The Old Waverly Bulldog Invitational will tee off Monday and conclude its last round Wednesday.  Monday’s tee time is set for 9:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday.