Reflections from Abroad: Oxford, England bound

To take a semester of college to study in another country and at another university is an invaluable experience for every college student and should be a part of every student’s education, both in terms of course work and in regard to life experience and worldview development.  Unfortunately, studying abroad is often prohibitively expensive.  Regardless, everyone should consider studying abroad — even in light of the high cost, the benefits far outweigh the cost in the long run.
   The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) performed a research survey to determine the benefits of studying abroad and found that it is greatly influential in students’ lives in a number of aspects.  According to IES, “The IES study found that no matter where you study abroad or for how long, the impact of that experience will likely affect the rest of your life.  For the majority of alumni respondents, stepping outside of their own cultures to live and study in a foreign country influenced their careers and educational choices, launched lifelong pursuits, increased cultural tolerance and understanding and facilitated lasting friendships.”
   Last summer, I took advantage of the opportunity to study abroad in Oxford England with the Mississippi State University Shackouls Honors College, and I must say that it was one of the most influential experiences in my life.  I lived in the city of Oxford for six weeks with 14 other students from MSU, and I was a member of Trinity College, one of the colleges of Oxford University.  The experiences I had that summer with the idiomatic British culture, history, museums and education system have been invaluable to my continued education and personal growth.
Kelsee McKim, a junior majoring in communication, has traveled to Germany during her time in college, not to take classes but rather to experience the culture and learn from experience directly.  McKim encourages every student to try to get out of the country if at all possible. “Students should most definitely, without a doubt, study abroad,” McKim said as she went on to describe her experience with traveling.  
    “I lived in Germany for three months, and it was the best experience of my life.  I was an au pair, so I watched two little kids.  I also lived with the family, so I was fully integrated into the German lifestyle,” McKim said, “I think people should study abroad because delving into a new culture alone would be worth it.  It’s such a great thing to be able to experience a new culture.  I personally enjoyed eating all of the German delicacies such as the schnitzel, pretzels and sausage. By living in a different country, you get exposed to things you never would have in the States.  You will most likely become more open-minded than you were before you left.”
    Overall, the benefits that come from studying abroad are the best combination of attending school as usual, with the addition to all of the benefits travel provides.  Taking both of these huge factors into consideration, we see that a student gets the most out of studying abroad, justified simultaneously by the large costs of traveling and learning. Such an intense experience will certainly prove life-changing and unforgettable if you choose to embark on the journey.  
    In an IES survey of their previous students, more than 90 percent reported that their experience “increased self-confidence, served as a catalyst for increased maturity and has had a lasting impact on worldview” and more than 80 percent reported that their experience “enhanced interest in academic study, influenced subsequent educational experiences and reinforced commitment to foreign language study.”
     Consider studying abroad in one of your next semesters or summers if you have not already. It may be the best experience of your college career.  The Mississippi State University Office of Study Abroad can be contacted at studyabroad.msstate.edu/ or [email protected] and is located in the Lloyd Ricks Watson Building on campus.