Bulldog veterans exhibit leadership on, off field

Curtis+Virges
Courtesy Photo | Media Relations
Curtis Virges

In a culture where college sports are highly heralded and education and extracurricular activities sometimes take a backseat, one would  be hard pressed to find athletes who are active in all endeavors that college life offers.
However, two athletes of that caliber can be found on the Mississippi State University football team. One is starting sophomore cornerback Taveze Calhoun, and the other is defensive lineman Curtis Virges. 
 Virges and Calhoun are not only bound by the brotherhood that teammates often share but are also are members of the same fraternity, the Theta Iota chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.  
When Virges is not busy watching film, practicing or studying, he volunteers for community service through the M-Club Alumni Association, an organization for former MSU student athletes. He also serves as a member of his fraternity’s community service committee. 
Despite his busy schedule, Virges said he exerts every effort to do what is needed for his chapter.
“I’m not able to do as much as I’d like to for my chapter during the season,” the junior defensive lineman said. “But I help out whenever and wherever I can, whether it be working at one of our parties or helping organize an event.” 
Virges also said the time spent with his teammates has taught him to press his chapter brothers to maintain focus and get things accomplished.
“It’s one thing to talk about doing something, but unless you get it done, then it’s just words,” Virges said. “So I try to make sure what is talked about actually gets seen through, on the field and in the chapter.” 
Virges’s fellow fraternity brother, Calhoun, also tries to remain as involved as possible on campus. 
Calhoun holds the position of chapter chaplain and is a member of Black Student Alliance, all the while maintaining a GPA above 3.5. The Morton, Miss., native said he enjoys being involved, but it can become a lot to handle.                   
“It can get a little overwhelming at times, but I just try to keep my priorities straight and know what is most important at the time,” Calhoun said. “Also, I love being part of something bigger than myself, so it is all worth it.”
The redshirt sophomore explained the camaraderie he has developed with his teammates has helped him better relate and bond with his fraternity brothers.
“You go to war with your teammates every day. It’s always a grind with workouts, summer conditioning, everything,” Calhoun said. “Going through that with them helped me sympathize with my line brothers and other members of the chapter and be able to understand what others are going through.”
David Jefferson, Theta Iota’s chapter vice president, spoke highly of both Calhoun and Virges’ time management skills.
“They’re both all-around guys, and they do a great job balancing remaining active in the chapter with being on the football team,” he said.
Jefferson also praised the duo for their overall personalities and disposition.
“We call Curtis a ‘good ole’ boy,’” he said jokingly. “He is friendly and always remains humble. Taveze is the same. He is well-rounded and very down to earth.” 
Bulldog fans certainly hope Virges and Calhoun are not as easygoing when SEC rival Kentucky arrives at Davis Wade Stadium Thursday.