Basketball sweeps home stand, ready for road test

Gavin+Ware
Emma Katherine Hutto
Gavin Ware

After five days of rest from its last win, the Mississippi State University men’s basketball team improved its undefeated record to 3-0 after taking down in-state rival Mississippi Valley State University 94-72, improving its all-time record to 4-0 against the Delta Devils.
Unlike the first two games, the team got off to a quick start against the Delta Devils.  The Bulldogs controlled the game from the opening possession and held a double-digit lead for a large portion of the game. The Bulldogs scored a season-high 94 points and shot a season-best 52 percent from the field.  A large part of the MSU offensive success came from dominating the post and receiving good play from center Gavin Ware.
Head coach Rick Ray said getting the ball to Ware early contributed to the team’s successful start.
“I thought we did a really good job trying to force feed the ball into the post to Gavin, and I thought we did a good job of not just getting the ball in the post to Gavin, but also Roquez (Johnson) and Colin (Borchert),” Ray said.
For Ware, he recorded his fourth career double-double,and scored a career-high 23 points and led the team with 11 rebounds.  Even with his dominant play down low, Ware said he commended his guards for getting him open looks.  
“It’s not my effort — it all starts with them,” he said.  “The other team had smaller post players, and my coaches told me I needed to use that to my advantage, and I did.”
Along with dominant post play, the Bulldogs also controlled the boards, out-rebounding their opponent 41-27.  MSU received good play from its bench as well.  
The Bulldogs were without their starting point guard, I.J Ready, who is out for two weeks due to a strained hamstring, which led to freshman point guard Jacoby Davis playing his first game with meaningful minutes.  
Junior point guard Trivante Bloodman said he was impressed with Davis’s play.  
“He did great. That was his first time playing that many minutes. He came in with a huge impact. He got a steal when he came in, and he knocked down wide-open shots.  He did what he had to do,” Bloodman said.
The Bulldogs have their first three games of the season completed, but still search for their identity.  Ray said as the competition continues to stiffen, the Dogs will start to figure things out and develop their playing style. 
Now, after finishing up their three-game home slate, the Bulldogs will prepare for their first road test of the season as they travel to face Utah State Saturday at 7 p.m.
Bloodman said the team will try to build on its previous wins as it gets prepared for its first game on the road.
“It’s going to be a rough environment, and they’re a good team, so we have to come out with a lot of energy and hit first,” Bloodman said.
Ware said even though the team has been winning, this will be a true test for the team against Utah State.
“It’s a tough atmosphere. We can’t come out sluggish like the last two games. We have to work every single possession of that game because that’s going to be a test of the willingness and competitive spirit of our team,” Ware said.
Although it’s the team’s first road game and will be its first true test, Ray said he has no concerns about the new atmosphere affecting his team.
“I don’t know if it’s a big thing or not, but I don’t ever worry about road games,” he said.  “To me, if you start talking to guys about the difference between playing at home and playing on the road, then they start thinking about it too much. It’s still 94 feet and 10 feet. It’s still basketball. We’re still going to play.”