Cross country prepares for conference championship

MSU Media Relations | Courtesy Photo

MSU senior Katie Huston races in a meet earlier this season. Huston and six senior Bulldogs will compete in the SEC Championship meet this weekend in Gainesville, Fla. 

After a successful regular season, the Mississippi State University cross country team now has its eyes set on a tougher challenge as the Dogs prepare for the SEC Championship this weekend.
The Bulldogs head into the meet coming off of a dominant performance in the Crimson Classic where the men finished fourth and the women finished second.  
The team has had a lot of success this season, posting top-five finishes in every race and sweeping two of its four meets.
John Valentine, senior distance runner, said via email he credits the team’s chemistry for its success this season.
“Our team has really come together, and we’ve held on to a strong team mentality this season,” Valentine said.  “More guys are getting quality training during the summer, and we’re running together and pushing each other in workouts.”
In last year’s SEC Championship, the men finished fifth and the women finished 11th.  
Katie Huston, senior distance runner, said via email she expects much better results from the team in this year’s race.
“This year we have had a different rhythm,” Huston said. “We do not plan to give up. We can finish in a way better position this year. Our coaches are very motivating, and we have worked very hard for this.” 
The team has six senior runners who will compete for the conference championship one final time. 
Valentine, one of those six, said being a senior entering his final SEC Championship is the culmination of his running career.
“It’s one of those all or nothing situations, and considering this is the best team I have been a part of these past four years, I’m looking forward to having my best individual and team showing,” he said.
The race will be held in Gainesville, Fla., and will consist of all SEC teams competing against one another.  
There will be 13 teams on the men’s side and 14 teams on the women’s side.
Huston said she expects this weekend’s race to be both challenging and fast.
“I am hoping for our team to place higher than where we are ranked currently. I think it’s very important to show the SEC what we have been working towards this entire season. I love running and accomplishing more than expected,” Huston said.
Valentine said he and the team try to build on their recent success and ride the momentum wave into the conference championship this weekend.
“Representing State has been and will continue to be our focus,” he said. “Going into this weekend is the opportunity to do well as a team. We need to finish off the year as best as we can by having our best race as a team tomorrow.”